Thank you for choosing Early Head Start as the education program for your child. As your child’s first teacher, we know that your child’s development and growth is a priority for you. Our team of caring experts are here to support you in all of your goals and needs.
The Early Head Start Program is a high-standard early childhood program for children ages 0 to 3 years. The Early Head Start Program enhances the School Readiness program by offering additional comprehensive services for your child and family members. Below are some of the benefits that you and your child can receive as participants of the Early Head Start program:
- High-quality early childhood care and education at no cost;
- Parents have an option to place their child in a center or family childcare home;
- As a participant, your School Readiness parent fee may be waived if your income falls below the 100% poverty guideline;
- Comprehensive services are offered by experts in the areas of education, family services, health, mental health, nutrition, and disabilities;
- Services and accommodations are available for children with special needs;
- Smaller teacher to child ratio than Florida State standards;
- Nutritious breakfast, lunch, and snack paid by USDA and at no cost to parents;
- Nutritional assessments are completed on all children to promote their well-being;
- Developmental screenings are conducted to individualize children’s education and to provide intervention strategies if needed;
- Formula and diapers are provided for your infant and toddlers while at school;
- Quality individualized education services provided to children by high-quality teachers;
- Family support services available for emergency situations (food, shelter, transportation, etc.);
- Long-term planning with families to improve quality of life;
- Programmatic decision-making opportunities for parents who wish to become involved in program governance;
- Frequent monitoring of the program to maintain quality;
If you are not currently enrolled in an Early Head Start Program, this would be a great time for you to consider applying. To apply for the program, go to the section below, Apply for Early Head Start.
To be eligible for Early Head Start services:
- Your child must be younger than three (3) years of age
- Your family must meet federal income guidelines based on the number of household members
- You must live in Miami-Dade County
Enrollment is based on a point system in which families with the highest number of points are given priority in the program.
- The program year runs from August 1 to July 31.
- Early Head Start offers services Monday through Friday.
- The hours for Early Head Start are 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. If you are a part of School Readiness, your child will receive services until 6:00 p.m.
- Please check with your center for holidays.
- Teachers will be conducting at least two parent-teacher conferences and home visits during the school year.
- Professional development days for 22-23 are October 27, 2022; October 28, 2022; and April 28, 2023.
- Our program uses Creative Curriculum to guide learning.
- Within the first 45-days of your child entering school a developmental and behavioral screening will be conducted on your children. The developmental screening is the Ages and Stages Questionnaire Third Edition and for behavioral will be the Ages and Stages Questionnaire Social Emotional, Second Edition.
- Our program is inclusive to children with disabilities and/or developmental delays.
- The centers will use the Teaching Strategies Gold Assessment to track your child’s development and to plan developmentally appropriate activities.
- The program does not require that parents purchase a uniform. Wearing a uniform is at the discretion of each family.
- During hours and while in the care of the Early Head Start center, diapers and wipes will be provided by the program. Parents are not allowed to bring their own diapers and wipes to the center.
- Food will be provided by the center. Parents will not be allowed to bring food from home.
- Parents are responsible for ensuring all of their child’s medical information is up to date at the center.
We encourage parents and other family members to become fully involved in the Early Head Start program. Here are some ways you can become involved or support the program:
- Volunteer in the classroom and school activities
- Attend parent meetings
- Be a part of the Policy Council
- Participate in trainings offered by the program
- Be a part of the hiring committee
- Participate in the program’s self-assessment
- Share resources with other parents
- Recruit for the program by telling your friends, family, and others in the community about Early Head Start
- Participate in parent-teacher conference and home visits.
The Policy Council is a group of parents and community representatives that are responsible for the direction of the program. The group meets monthly to hear about the progress of the program and make decisions that will improve the services offered to families.
Third Wednesday of the month at 5:30 p.m.
Policy Council Meetings
November 16, 2022
September 21, 2022
August 17, 2022
June 15, 2022
May 18, 2022
April 20, 2022
March 16, 2022
February 16, 2022
January 19, 2022
December 15, 2021 November 17, 2021 September 15, 2021
2021-2022 Policy Council Members
- Chair: Maria Alejandra Soto - Springview Academy of Hialeah
- Vice-Chair: Jasmin Johnson - Miami Gardens Learning Center
- Secretary: Anais Valdez - Kinderkids Academy III
- Assistant Secretary: Kanetra Jones - My Little Angels Day Care Center
- Treasurer: Sheldrika Johnson - The Carter Academy II
- Parliamentarian: TBD
Early Learning Coalition of Miami-Dade/Monroe Board Representation
- Mara Zapata, Beyond the Mark Consulting, LLC.
- Amanda Soto - Kinderland 4 Kids
- Daphne Pierre- Louis - Pink and Blue Children's Academy
- Dominique Reardon - It's A Small World II
- Fabiola Delva - Lord's Learning Center, Inc.
- Gerladine Orrico - Kids Small World Learning Center
- Maria Rodriguez - New Aladdin Learning Center
- Natalya Saintil - Little Ones Academy Corp
- Nikia James - Lincoln Marti 102
- Pamela Pinkston - Step Above Academy
- Shantavia Pamphile - Naranja Prep Academy Annex
- Shirly Mejia - Lincoln Marti 450
- Tania Veronica Cordova - Rainbow Intergenerational
- Victoria Yanez - Little Red School House
- Yanibel Cayetano - Children of The New Sun
- Yener Dupotey - Lincoln Marti 905
- Yessenia Mayorga - It's A Small World VII
- TBD - Shores School
EHS Main Office Phone Number: 305-646-7220 ext. 2457
Email Address: email@example.com
Early Head Start Menus
The Mindful eating in Preschool Setting tool