The New Normal Summer Camps and Early Learning Programs
September 18, 2020
The Office of Miami-Dade County Mayor Carlos Gimenez has published an update to the New Normal document.
You can download a copy of the revised guide at https://www.miamidade.gov/information/library/new-normal.pdf
Please remember that VPK required ratios have not changed. They remain 1:11 or 2:20, teachers to children.
Specific language from the document is:
Modify interior spaces to maximize physical distancing, including installation of barriers, modification of furniture and layouts, and segmentation of common areas to ensure the separation of groups of not more than 12 children as long as the space provides no less than 36 square feet of usable floor space per child.
Ensure physical distancing among staff and groups of no more than 12 children.
- Stagger breaks, meals, program activities
- Prohibit staff from gathering in communal space-break rooms and common areas.
Establish strict density measures to ensure that groups are no greater than 12 children and can maintain separation and social distancing requirements.
- Revise facility capacity, accordingly, ensuring that there are separate spaces for groups of no greater than 12 children.
- As much as possible, maintain 6 feet distance between children unless accommodations are warranted for very young children or children with disabilities.
- Restrict mixing, have the same group of children stay with the same staff each day, including during mealtimes.
- Maximize use of outdoor spaces and increase time spent on outdoor activities.
After School/Full Day Programs for school aged children
- Ensure physical distancing among staff and groups of no more than 12 children.