Coronavirus (COVID-19) Update March 19, 2020
March 19, 2020
We received an update from the Office of Early Learning and wanted to share it with you immediately.
Office of Early Learning
VPK and School Readiness:
- The Office of Early Learning is going to pay/reimburse providers for additional absences of active enrollments or temporary closures due to COVID-19. The Governor and Commissioner of Education have repeatedly reassured child care providers in press releases and press conferences of this provision.
- The EFS Mod team has been working to identify what changes need to be made to the system to implement these provisions. Like these factors:
- Submission of prior attendance
- Eligibility re-determination timelines and notices
- Waiving Parent fees
CDC Guidance on Social Distancing in School Settings:
- The Office of Early Learning strongly encourages providers to adhere to the CDC's guidance which limits gatherings of students and employees to no more than 10 people in an occupied space.
- The Miami-Dade Mayor, Carlos Gimenez has ordered that child care programs are permitted to stay open under the following guidelines:
- Children must be carried out in stable groups of 10 or fewer
- Children and child care providers may not change from one group to another
- If more than one group of children is cared for at one facility, each group shall be in a separate room. Groups shall not mix or interact with each other.
- The Office of Early Learning understands these are tough decisions for child care operators. DCF will be sending an update on this topic too. In the meantime, please do what you can to stay with in ratio, but incorporate this practice.
Executive Order From the Governor is Coming:
The Office of Early Learning expects an Executive Order from Governor DeSantis very soon that will have specifics related to VPK and School Readiness programs. Including some of these topics:
- Elimination of SR or VPK child assessments
- Elimination of the 2019-2020 readiness rates
As a reminder, our Provider Warm Line is open and ready to assist you with your questions and situations. 786-433-3095Thank you