Past News and Updates
- May 30, 2014: Important Information about Homestead VPK Trainings. Read more.
- May 29, 2014: CCDH will present a series of 4 training opportunities on disability issues and inclusion designed for Quality Counts provider practitioners. Read more.
- May 28, 2014: New process for submitting VPK COEs. Read more.
- May 24, 2014: The VPK Assessment Help Desk will be closed temporarily on May 30. Read more.
- May 23, 2014: Save the Date for a VPK Conference. Read more.
- May 23, 2014: Read the latest issue of the ELC News Alert.
- May 23, 2014: Read the latest issue of the ELC's Parent Link.
- May 22, 2014: Have you registered your child for VPK? Read more.
- May 21, 2014: Important Information about the TAP Program. Read more.
- May 21, 2014: Additional VPK training dates have been added. Read more.
- May 14, 2014: The Redetermination Unit has moved! Read more.
- May 13, 2014: May, June and July VPK Training Schedule. Read more.
- May 8, 2014: Please join us this May for an ASQ-3 training session. Read more.
- May 7, 2014: The Early Learning Coalition is proud to announce we were named recipient of the 2014 Technology Leaders of the Year Awards in the area of Technology Project. Read more.
- May 6: 2014: The Child Care Executive Partnership Program (CCEP) is now open for enrollment. Read more.
- May 6: 2014: VPK Providers: Please enter the approved number of hours on your VPK calendars. Read more.
- May 5, 2014: Read the latest form the Children's Movement.
- April 29, 2014: Read Early Learning Works a newsletter from the Office of Early Learning!
- April 28, 2014: Read CCDH’s News in ACTion e-letter. In partnership with people with disabilities and their families, CCDH advocates, coordinates and provides supports and services.
- April 21, 2014: The South Service center has moved to its permanent location! 18901 SW 106 Ave., Unit B-208 Miami, FL 33157.
- April 18, 2014: Read Building a Workforce Begins Early by Mark Wilson and David Lawrence Jr.
- April 14, 2014: School Readiness contracts due Tuesday, April 15. Read more.
- April 11, 2014: The Single Point of Entry System will be undergoing a scheduled maintenance beginning at 5 p.m. on April 11. Read more.
- April 9, 2014: A Program You Don’t Want to Miss. Read more.
- April 4, 2014: Read the latest issue of the ELC News Alert.
- April 4, 2014: Senate Passes Budget Focused on Education, Tax Relief and Reserves: Unprecedented Education Funding, $500 Million in Tax Relief, $3.2 Billion in Reserves. Read more.
- April 3, 2014: The deadline to submit March attendance rosters has been extended until Friday, April 4. If you have any questions, please email the Payments Department at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- April 3, 2014: Join us April 16 for an ASQ-3 Training Session. Read more.
- April 2, 2014: Join us this month for a Provider Meeting. Read more.
- March 26, 2014: THE FLORIDA DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH IN MIAMI-DADE COUNTY SHOWING INCREASE IN SHIGELLOSIS. Read more.
- March 25, 2014: GOVERNER RICK SCOTT HIGHLIGHTS EARLY LEARNING FUNDING IN MIAMI. Read more.
- March 24, 2014: On Monday, March 24 at 11:30 a.m., Governor Rick Scott will hold a press conference to highlight increases to early learning funding at the Miami Children’s Museum, 980 Macarthur Causeway, Miami.
- March 20, 2014: Read our latest News Alert!
- March 20, 2014: Celebrate Children’s Week with our Monroe team. Read more.
- March 18, 2014: IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT CONTRACT DEADLINES. Read more.
- March 17, 2014: Unemployment rate remains unchanged at 6.8%. Read more.
- March 14, 2014: March 14 is the last day to make VPK transfers. Read more.
- March 13, 2014: Governor Rick Scott highlighted increased funding for early childhood education at the Science and Discovery Center of Northwest Florida. Read more.
- March 12, 2014: Read the latest issue of Parent Link!
- March 7, 2014: Governor Rick Scott highlighted a report that shows for the fifth consecutive year Florida students who completed the Voluntary Prekindergarten (VPK) Education Program were better prepared for kindergarten than those who only attended part of the program or did not participate in VPK at all. Read more.
- March 4, 2014: Conference Scholarships Available to FCCH Providers. Read more.
- February 28, 2014: VPK Readiness Rates scheduled for release next week. Read more.
- February 25, 2014: SAVE THE DATE for our Children’s Week event on March 21! Read more.
- February 24, 2014: New time and station for “Luchando por Nuestros Hijos” with Senator Rudy Garcia! Read more.
- February 20, 2014: Remember to send your hand artwork for Children’s Week 2014 by March 7! Read more.
- February 18, 2014: VPK Online Registration is now open! Read more.
- February 18, 2014: Read the latest ELC News Alert.
- February 14, 2014: Read the latest news from the Office of Early Learning.
- February 11, 2014: The March BOD Meeting is scheduled to take place in Monroe County. Read more.
- February 9, 2014: Read the latest newsletter from the AELC.
- February 6, 2014: Save the Date for our February Provider Meetings!
- February 5, 2014: Purchase your TICKETS fore CHARITY before time runs out!
- February 4, 2014: Click here for an overview of Governor Scott’s “It’s Your Money Tax Cut Budget” Recommendations.
- February 3, 2014: VPK Providers: The deadline to submit Summer 2014 VPK contract is FRIDAY. Read more.
- February 3, 2014: Notice of Meetings for Early Head Start-Child Care Partnerships, read more.
- January 30, 2014: The North Service Center has moved to its permanent location 1515 NW 167 St., Suite 320, Miami Gardens, FL 33169
- January 29, 2014: GOVERNOR’S “IT’S YOUR MONEY” TAX CUT BUDGET INVESTS IN EARLY LEARNING – Largest increase in funding for school readiness, VPK, teacher development in 10 years – read more.
- January 28, 2014: Children’s Week 2014 is coming! Send us your hand artwork today! Read more.
- January 27, 2014: Click here for the new School Readiness application checklist.
- January 24, 2014: SR Providers: Please join us at a community meeting as we discuss tiered reimbursement. Read more.
- January 23, 2014: VPK Providers: Upcoming VPK trainings have been scheduled. Read more.
- January 21, 2014: Exciting opportunity for Liberty City providers. Learn more here.
- January 21, 2014: Save the Date for the FACCM Annual Conference taking place May 16-18, 2014. Read more.
- January 21, 2014: Save the Date for the NAFCC Annual Conference taking place in Orlando on July 11-12, 2014. Read more.
- January 15, 2014: Read the latest issue of the ELC's News Alert.
- January 10, 2014: Read the Office of Early Learning's January newsletter with early learning highlights from the past month
- January 6, 2014: Read the latest issue of the AELC's Newsletter.
- January 6, 2014: Celebrate Literacy Week, Florida! 2014 is taking place the week of January 13-17, 2014. Join the Just Read, Florida! Office, the Florida Department of Education (FDOE), Florida's Office of Early Learning, school districts and Early Learning Coalitions in promoting the enjoyment of reading for children and adults. Read more.
- January 3, 2014: Providers: Please be sure to input correct codes for holidays on attendance rosters. Read more.
- January 3, 2014: Help the ELC raise funds through TICKETS fore CHARITY! Read more.
- January 2, 2014: Join us this January for a Provider Meeting. Read more.
- December 23, 2013: Read the latest issue of the ELC News Alert.
- December 23, 2013: VPK Readiness Rate Website now available. Read more.
- December 10, 2013: Gov. Rick Scott thanks early care and education providers for their dedication to the children of Florida. Read more.
- December 6, 2013: DCF Kicks Off “Hope for the Holidays” Campaign. Holiday donations needed for local nonprofit organizations. Read more.
- December 4, 2013: Complete packets are required in order to redetermine SR eligibility. Read more.
- November 26, 2013: Read the latest newsletter on the implementation of HB 7165
- November 22, 2013: Read the November issue of Parent Link.
- November 21, 2013: Read the latest issue of the Provider News Alert.
- November 20, 2013: Read more about processing eligibility cases.
- November 19, 2013: Join us at our upcoming Program & Strategy Committee Meeting as we discuss provider reimbursement rates. Read more.
- November 15, 2013: Read the Fall edition of the Child Care Communique from DCF.
- November 12, 2013: Read the latest newsletter on the implementation of HB 7165
- November 8, 2013: Read the latest edition of OEL's Early Learning Update.
- November 1, 2013: Providers: Please read this information regarding post attendance monitoring procedures.
- October 29, 2013: Read the latest issue of the ELC's Provider News Alert.
- October 28, 2013: Read Patterns of Referral Recommendations for Ethnically Diverse Children in Subsidized Child Care coauthored by the ELC's Bethany Sands and published by the Council for Exceptional Children
- October 25, 2013: Parents/Caregivers: Please read this important information about returning redetermination packets to the ELC.
- October 18, 2013: For information and support about the VPK Assessment, click here. For information on the Online Reporting System, click here.
- October 17, 2013: Questions and Answers about HB 7165 regarding Eligibility Criteria for the SR Program. Read more.
- October 11, 2013: Federal Shutdown – Update on Impact. Read more.
- October 4, 2013: VPK Classroom Teachers: Please take a moment to take this Mathematical Thinking Online Survey. Read more.
- October 4, 2013: A message from Shan Goff, Executive Director of the Florida Office of Early Learning, about the Federal Government Shut Down. Read more.
- October 2, 2013: Read the latest newsletter from the Office of Early Learning.
- September 29, 2013: Read the latest issue of the ELC News Alert.
- September 27, 2013: Read the latest issue of Parent Link.
- September 19, 2013: Important documents are now available on the Provider Portal. Read more.
- September 18, 2013: The two public hearings for proposed rule chapter 65C-39 previously scheduled for September 26 (Tampa) and October 2 (Tallahassee) have been cancelled. Upon further review, the Department has determined that the
rule contemplates a process that will be outdated due to the creation of the Caretaker Clearinghouse, which will be implemented in the spring when summer programs begin to screen their staff. Please visit Department of Children and Family Services website for more information.
- September 10, 2013: The Department of Children and Family Services, Office of Child Care Regulation and Background Screening will be conducting two public hearings for Chapter 65C-39, F.A.C. This new chapter of rule is titled "Summer Camp Program Standards." This an opportunity for the Department to receive comments from providers, community partners, coalition staff, stakeholders, and the general public related to the proposed rule language. Read more.
- September 5, 2013: The Early Learning Coalition of Miami-Dade/Monroe is offering 4 scholarships to faith-based providers to attend the 20th Annual Child Development Education Alliance's Conference. Read more.
- September 4, 2013: Read the September issue of the Early Learning Update from the Office of Early Learning.
- September 3, 2013: Read the latest issue of our Provider News Alert.
- August 28, 2013: First time School Readiness clients with an appointment, please download this list that shows what documentation you have to bring to your appointment.
- August 22, 2013: Read the latest newsletter from the Office of Early Learning.
- August 19, 2013: Governor Rick Scott Draws Attention to Early Learning in Florida, Signs Bill at United Way Center for Excellence in Early Education in Miami
- July 29, 2013: VPK Providers: The August 2013 Training Schedule is now available here.
- July 26, 2013: Tallahassee, Fla. – Governor Rick Scott today announced the appointments of Adrian Alfonso, Philip “Flip” Gassman, and Gordon “Eric” Knowles to the Early Learning Coalition of Miami-Dade/Monroe.
- July 12, 2013: Read the latest issue of the of the ELC News Alert.
- July 11, 2013: Read the latest issue of Parent Link.
- July 9, 2013: Parents and Caregivers: Please visit one of our new service center locations. Read more.
- July 2, 2013: New dates have been added to the July 2013 VPK Training Schedule. Read more.
- June 27, 2013: Please see our FAQs for answers to some of your Frequently Asked Questions.
- June 26, 2013: Our new service centers open July 1 across Miami-Dade and Monroe counties. Find your nearest center here.
- June 25, 2013: Click here to see the VPK Training Schedule for July 2013. Additional training dates will be released soon.
- June 19, 2013: Read the latest issue of the ELC News Alert.
- June 17, 2013: Need help with the provider portal? Please visit our YouTube channel for how-to videos.
- June 12, 2013: Parents: For inquiries about the School Readiness waitlist, please click here.
- June 11, 2013: NEWS RELEASE: VPK Online System arrives in Miami-Dade and Monroe Counties. Read more.
- June 11, 2013: Join us this week for a Transition Information Session. Read more.
- June 7, 2013: Monroe Providers, meet Maxine the Bear! Read more.
- June 7, 2013: Learn more about the enhancements we’ve made to our Provider Portal here.
- June 7, 2013: The Early Learning Coalition will be hosting Transition Information Sessions for our providers. Read more.
- June 7, 2013: The US Bureau of Labor Statistics reports that the total nonfarm payroll employment increased by 175,000 in May, and the unemployment rate was essentially unchanged at 7.6 percent. Employment rose in professional and business services, food services and drinking places, and retail trade. Read more.
- June 5, 2013: Parents and Caregivers: Learn more about how our transition to in-house services will affect you. Read more.
- June 5, 2013: Having problems with your password on the Provider Portal? This document will explain how to reset your password.
- June 4, 2013: June Attendance Rosters will be available on the ELC Provider Portal. Read more.
- June 4, 2013: Save the date for the "Do Right Dads Conference" on Fathers Day Weekend, June 14-16, 2013. Read more.
- May 28, 2013: The May issue of the Parent Link is available now! Read more.
- May 28, 28, 2013: CCEP Provider Agreement Applications are due Friday, May 31. Read more.
- May 27, 2013: Monroe service center locations and hours now available. Read more.
- May 9, 2013: Meet Max the Bear! Read more.
- May 6, 2013: May and June 2013 VPK training schedules are available now. Read more.
- May 2, 2013: LEGISLATURE RESTORES FUNDING FOR EARLY LEARNING PROGRAMS. Read more.
- May 1, 2013: The 2013-14 School Readiness Provider Contracts are due May 15, 2013. Read more.
- April 30. 2013: Miami-Dade Child Development Services will be terminating its Child Care Food Program (CCFP) Contract with the Department of Health (DOH), and will no longer sponsor the CCFP for day care homes as of the close of business on June 30, 2013. Read more.
- April 23, 2013: Quality Counts is hosting various meetings to unveil the new standards for Quality Counts 2.0. Meetings will take place in different locations and will be divided in two sessions (English and Spanish) for providers' convenience. Read more.
- April 22, 2013: Read the latest issue of our News Alert!
- April 3, 2013: Read the latest Provider Bulletin for information on available VPK training dates, Quality Counts 2.0 information session locations, and more!
- April 1, 2013: The Fiscal Year 2013-14 School Readiness Contract is now available on the Coalition's Provider Portal and is due no later than May 15, 2013. The contract is effective July 1, 2013 - June 30, 2014. Read more.
- March 26, 2013: Read the latest issue of the ELC's Parent Link.
- March 25, 2013: Over the past five years, the quality of early learning programs in Quality Counts has improved substantially and star ratings have increased after actively working on quality improvement. Read more.
- March 21, 2013: Read the latest issue of the Provider News Alert.
- March 20, 2013: Join Congresswoman Debbie Wasserman Schultz as she hosts her annual Small Business Workshop on Saturday, April 20, 2013. Read more.
- March 20, 2013: The Early Learning Coalition of Miami-Dade/Monroe is creating a new automated attendance process module. In order to best serve you, we invite all providers to attend an information session on Thursday, March 21, at 1 p.m. Your feedback on the new module will help us improve the efficiency of the payment process to providers. Read more.
- March 19, 2013: Deadline for Probationary VPK Providers to Acknowledge Probationary Status is March 29. Read more.
- March 18, 2013: The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has launched a new web-based resource directory of environmental health information for child care. Read more.
- March 18, 2013: Join us at one of our Community Forums this week. Read more.
- March 18, 2013: Save the Date for Miami Dade College Homestead Campus's Day of the Young Child Celebration. Read more.
- March 12, 2013: PARENTS/CAREGIVERS: As you may already know, effective July 1, the Early Learning Coalition will be operating under a new service delivery model. This means we will be your one stop for all VPK and School Readiness early childhood services. Read more.
- March 11, 2013: The Florida Department of Education Bureau of Voluntary Prekindergarten released the Final 2011-12 VPK Readiness Rates on Friday, March 8. Read more.
- February 27, 2013: Read the latest issue of the ELC's Parent Link. Read more.
- February 21, 2013: The latest issue of the ELC News Alert has been released. Read it here.
- February 15, 2013: The State Board of Education has not set the final 2011-12 VPK Readiness Rate. The rates you received were preliminary. Once the final rate is announced and you are required to complete an Improvement Plan, please let us know. We have staff ready to assist you at no cost to you. Read more.
- February 14, 2013: The board of directors and staff of the Early Learning Coalition of Miami-Dade/Monroe are proud to report another year of clean audits. Read more.
- January 16, 2013: The latest issue of the ELC News Alert has been released. Read it here.
- January 14, 2013: Children's Week 2013 is taking place April 8 - 12, 2013. Help us celebrate by creating hand artwork with your children. Read more.
- January 9. 2013: Our Parent Link has a new look! Our January issue has tips on easing post-holiday blues, suggestions of apps for preschoolers, and local events for the family. Click here to read more.
- January 7, 2013: VPK Provider Verification for the 2011-2012 Readiness Rate is now in progress! Please visit the Readiness Rate website and access your individual program by logging in with the 4-digit user ID provided previously in a letter from the Florida Department of Education (FLDOE) and your password.
Once on the site, select "2011-2012" from the drop-down menu. Verify the children listed as those who actually attended your program that year, and ensure their names are correct. Also confirm the hours attended. Submit a change only if the information will impact 70% of substantial completion.
The deadline for the verification process is January 25, 2013.If you need technical assistance, please contact the FLDOE at 1-866-447-1159 or email@example.com.
- December 10, 2012: The Child Care Regulation Program has upgraded the Child Care Training Application (CCTA) Training Portal used statewide by child care personnel to register, complete and track their training. To access the new CCTA Training Portal, visit www.myflorida.com/childcare and click on CCTA TRAINING PORTAL COURSE REGISTRATION/VIEW TRANSCRIPT.
- November 28, 2012: Florida's Office of Early Learning adopted rule 6M-4.710, Florida Administrative Code, regarding School Readiness Program Curricula. According to the new rule, providers offering the School Readiness program will be required to utilize an approved developmentally appropriate curriculum beginning July 1, 2013. Read more.
- November 26, 2012: Read the latest issue of the ELC's Parent Link.
- November 21, 2012: Join the Institute for Women's Policy Research and the Student Parent Success Initiative for a webminar on Financing Child Care for College Students with Children: Opportunities to Support Two Generations of Learners. Click here to register.
- November 21, 2012: The third annual ACF-wide Webinar on Tax Credit Outreach will be held on November 29, 2012 at 2:00pm EST. This Webinar presentation provides an overview of the basics on tax credits, resources you can access to conduct tax credit outreach and education in the 2013 tax filing season, and several special tax credit initiatives sponsored by the IRS. Please join us to learn about tools for conducting outreach on valuable tax credits available for low-income working people. For more information click here.
- November 20, 2012: The latest issue of the ELC News Alert has been released. Read more.
- November 7, 2012: Help Wanted OnLine from The Conference Board is a measure of real-time labor demand captured through online job ads. The Conference Board compiles online job ads from over 1,200 job boards and publishes the data in an online application that covers national, state, Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA) and county levels, detailed by occupation, industry and employer. Click here to read the October 2012 report for Florida.
- October 23, 2012: The Annual ELC Board Meeting and Strategic Planning Retreat will take place on Monday, November 5, 2012 from 10:00am to 3:00pm at the Mosquito Control District, 503 107th St. Gulf Marathon, FL 33050.
- October 19. 2012: Read the latest issue of the ELC's Parent Link!
- October 17, 2012: Read the latest issue of the ELC News Alert.
- October 3, 2012: On October 24 the Office of Early Learning will host a Public Hearing on the Statewide School Readiness Provider contract rule and forms. For more details please visit the OEL website. For instructions on how to join in to the WebEx session, click here.
- October 3, 2012: On October 23 the Office of Early Learning will host a Public Hearing on VPK SIS rule and forms. For more details please visit the OEL website. For instructions on how to join in to the WebEx session, click here.
- October 2, 2012: Florida's Office of Early Learning has begun School Readiness Allocation workshop Listening Tour. For a full list of dates click here.
- September 24, 2012: Read the latest issue of our Parent Link!
- September 24, 2012: Providers, read the latest issue of our Provider Bulletin.
- September 19, 2012: Join ConnectFamilias at the 6th Annual Caring for Kids Fair on October 13. Read more.
- September 19, 2012: Read the latest issue of our News Alert.
- September 5, 2012: The Florida Department of Education has notified all VPK Providers about the mandatory implementation of the VPK Assessment Tool. It will be administered during the 2012-13 school year to all VPK Children. Click here for more information regarding the assessment. Click here for available training dates.
- August 31, 2012: Provider Update! Click here for available training dates for the VPK Assessment.
- August 29, 2012: How to Keep Children Calm During Hurricanes, Other Disasters. Read more
- August 29 , 2012: The Alarming Story of Reading: ELC Board Member and early education advocate David Lawrence, Jr. and Carol Barnett, president of Publix Super Market Charities, penned an op-ed piece recently in The Miami Herald on the importance of early literacy across Florida and the movement behind the ReadingPals initiative. Read more
- August 26, 2012: The Early Learning Coalition of Miami-Dade/Monroe will be closed on Monday, August 27 due to Tropical Storm Isaac. Read more
- August 24, 2012: Due to the inclement weather anticipated for next week, the three Department of Children and Families public hearings for proposed rule changes previously scheduled for Tuesday, August 28 (Miami); Wednesday, August 29 (Tampa); and Friday, August 31 (Tallahassee) have been cancelled. You will be notified in the future regarding new hearing dates/times. Additionally, future announcements will be posted to the Department of Children and Families website under "What's New."
- August 23, 2012: Missed the ELC Community Forums held in Miami-Dade this week? View the fact sheet here and the PowerPoint presentation here.
- August 21, 2012: The Administration for Children and Families has joined the Department of Transportation’s National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and Safe Kids USA to launch the “Look Before You Lock” Campaign. Visit their website to learn more and download the voluntary pledge form that providers and parents may use to work together to keep children safe
- August 14, 2012: Read the latest issue of the ELC's News Alert!
- August 14, 2012: The Early Learning Coalition is seeking a candidate to fill a position as a representative of faith-based child care providers on its Board of Directors. Read more
- August 14, 2012: *This meeting has been cancelled. New hearing dates/times will be posted.* We post This The Department of Children and Family Services, Child Care Program Office, will hold a public hearing at 8:30 a.m. on Tuesday, Aug. 28, 2012, at the offices of the Early Learning Coalition of Miami-Dade/Monroe. The public hearing is being held to address proposed rule changes to Chapter 65C-22, Florida Administrative Code. To review the full proposed rule, please click here.
- August 9, 2012: The Every Child Matters Education Fund believes in making children a national political priority. Presidents Helping Children is an exhibition that highlights improvements in national child well-being by past presidents and illustrating the challenges facing the next president and the 113th Congress. To learn more about the organization’s latest campaign , click here.
- August 9, 2012: Start your training for the UPS 5K benefiting the United Way, click here to register.
- August 7, 2012: Join the Early Learning Coalition of Miami-Dade/Monroe at one of its upcoming community forums. Read more
- August 7, 2012: The Florida Department of Education recently announced an extension for childcare providers on probation. Read more
- August 3, 2012: Tragic Child Care News - BSO investigates death of boy, 4, in sweltering SUV. Read more
- August 2, 2012: The Early Learning Coalition will hold its monthly Board of Directors meeting at 8 a.m., Monday, Aug. 6 at its Coral Gables office. Sen. Ellyn Bogdanoff (D-25) will be the guest speaker. Read more
- August 1, 2012: The Department of Children and Family Services’ Child Care Program Office will hold a public hearing at 8:30 a.m. on Tuesday, Aug. 28, 2012 at the ELC in Coral Gables. Read more
- July 30, 2012: ELC partners advocate on behalf of early care and education. Read more
- July 26, 2012: ReadingPals – An Early Literacy Initiative The Children’s Movement and United Way, in conjunction with numerous local and statewide partners and Carol and Barney Barnett, are in the process of launching a three-year initiative focused on engaging, training and deploying volunteer “reading pals” in 10 Florida regions to increase the number of students who are reading at grade level by the end of third grade. Read more
- July 24, 2012: New changes to the state’s School Readiness funding allocation formula was recently reported by The Miami Herald. Read more
- July 20, 2012: News in Early Care and Education: Medicaid expansion benefits Florida’s children. Read more
- July 18, 2012: Read the latest issue of ELC's Parent Link.
- July 18, 2012: VPK Specialized Instructional Services Training: A training webinar on a new VPK program will be held at 2 p.m. on Thursday, July 19 for coalition and contractor staff. Read more
- July 18, 2012: Florida’s Office of Early Learning (OEL) will hold a public hearing on Friday, July 20 at 1 p.m., to discuss five draft rules and six draft forms for both the Voluntary Prekindergarten (VPK) and School Readiness programs. Read more
- July 18, 2012: Sept. 28-29: Save the Date! Early Childhood Expo, a two-day event for early childhood professionals featuring exhibitions showcasing the latest products and services to help enhance work with children, mini-seminars, product demonstrations, and more. Admission is FREE! Read more
- July 16, 2012: Read the latest issue of the ELC's News Alert!
- July 9, 2012: 2012 Sales Tax Holiday will be August 3rd through August 5th. Florida Law directs that no sales tax be collected on sales of clothing, footwear, and certain accessories selling for less than $75. This also applies for certain school supplies selling for $15 or less. Read more
- July 6, 2012: Miami is one of 25 cities scheduled to receive the Community Solutions PaceSetter Honors, recognizing communities that are setting the pace in specific areas targeting grade-level reading. Read more
- July 2, 2012: Webinar: Florida’s Office of Early Learning Rule Development Hearing 1-3 p.m., Friday, July 13th, 2012. The hearing will cover VPK Child Registration Procedures and Application; VPK Parent Guide; and Child Performance Standards. Read more
- June 25, 2012: The Florida Keys Healthy Start Coalition and the Florida Department of Transportation are offering monthly child car seat installations and inspection events for any parent or guardian in Monroe County, read more.
- June 25, 2012: The Early Learning Coalition and the American Red Cross invite you to join us on Thursday, June 28 for an evening of networking and conversation to help you and your staff build relationships with organizations that you might rely on during a disaster or other emergency. Read more.
- June 25, 2012: The Children's Forum has been commissioned and funded by Florida's Office of Early Learning to conduct a Florida statewide early care and education (ECE) workforce study this year, read more.
- June 21, 2012: Let the festivities begin! Along with Memorial Day cook-outs and Fourth of July fireworks, families can celebrate Summer Learning Day on June 21st with a trip to a museum, a library visit, or even a friendly game of Scrabble, read more.
- June 13, 2012: Latest News on the ELC: Evelio Torres Gets Tots On A Scholarly Road Early So They Are More Likely To Succeed Later In Life , read more.
- June 10, 2012: Mary Williams from the ELC's Monroe office is the Lower Keys Chamber of Commerce member of the Month. Read more.
- June 4, 2012: The Early Learning Coalition of Miami-Dade/Monroe (ELC) has welcomed its 500th provider into Quality Counts, the county’s Quality Rating Improvement System (QRIS).
- June 5, 2012: Read the latest issue of the ELC News Alert.
- May 31, 2012: The Florida Department of Children and Families has released a new matrix including the required trainings for licensed child care facilities. The matrix includes a detailed list of the trainings, in-service hours and credentials necessary for child care personnel, directors, substitutes, volunteers and foster grandparents. Click here for the matrix.
- May 31, 2012: The Early Childhood Program Administrator’s Institute (ECPAI) includes a series of courses designed to both increase quality in program administration and build capacity of childcare providers community wide. Click here to register.
- May 29, 2012: Florida's seasonally adjusted unemployment rate was 8.7 percent in April 2012, the lowest since January 2009 when it was also 8.7 percent, read more.
- May 17, 2012: The Florida Family Child Care Home Association's Annual Conference will be held June 19-24, 2012 in Clearwater Beach, FL. The State Advisory Council (SAC) has approved to provide scholarships for Family Child Care Home Providers for a one-day "Saturday Special" on June 23, 2012. The scholarship opportunity will cover the cost of the one day Saturday registration ($55 for members and $75 for non-members). The Deadline for submitting the application is June 1, 2012. Download application here.
- May 11, 2012: Join The Dranoff Foundation & The Adrienne Arsht Center for PIANO SLAM 4 on May 24. Piano Slam 4 will feature a Classical Hip Hop mash up featuring Student Poets from across the County with Piano Duo Van Veen, DJ Brimstone 127 & the Thomas Armour Youth Ballet, read more.
- May 8, 2012: Tuesday, May 15, 2012 is the deadline to submit the 2012-2013 School Readiness Provider Contract. If the contract is not received by the May 15 deadline, your School Readiness payments will stop on July 1, 2012. The Provider Contract may be submitted electronically using the Provider Portal.
- May 8, 2012: Join the ELC and the Healthy Start Coalition for the Family Summer Kick Off Event, June 9 at the Miami-Dade County Fair Expo Center, read more.
- May 4, 2012: Read the latest issue of the ELC News Alert.
- May 2, 2012: Please join Wesley House and ELC Monroe staff for the quarterly provider meeting to include important programmatic updates. Click here to preview the agenda. Registration deadline is May 15th. Please RSVP to Laurie Dunn at 305- 809-5000.
- April 28, 2012: The ELC has two positions available on our Board of Directors for Provider Representatives. They are Representative of programs for children with disabilities under the federal Individuals with Disabilities Education Act and Representative of faith-based child care providers. Interested applicants should visit our website and complete an application. The deadline for submissions is May 21, 2012. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Leeana Pena, Board Liaison, at 305-646-7220 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- April 23, 2012: The Florida Department of Economic Opportunity (DEO) announced Florida’s unemployment rate continues to see a steady decline, dropping down to 9.0 in March 2012 – the lowest since January 2009, Read more.
- April 17, 2012: The Department of Education will be hosting a Rule Development Workshop via webinar on Friday, April 27, 2012 from 3:00 – 5:00 p.m., E.S.T. They will be discussing two important rules to be developed: VPK Curriculum Approval Process and the VPK Staff Development Plan for Providers on Probation. Click here for more details. Documents needed: DRAFT Curriculum Approval Specifications 2012, DOE-approved Staff Development Plan form for VPK Providers on Probation FINAL and DRAFT VPK Curriculum Approval Policies and Procedures 2012.
- April 12, 2012: A change is coming! ELIS will soon be here. The Early Learning Information System (ELIS) will be a centralized technology system that will provide critical information to early learning parents, partners, and providers. Read more about this change.
- April 12, 2012: May is designated as Transition to Kindergarten month! Kindergarten registration has begun, so be sure to register early. A quality transition to kindergarten process-values the role of families, teachers, administrators and most importantly the child. Read more in the latest issue of Parent Link.
- April 11, 2012: Read the latest issue of the ELC News Alert.
- April 10, 2012: Read the letter to the Chairman and Ranking Member of the Subcommittee on Labor, Health and Human Services, urging them to support the Child Care Development Block Grant.
- April 10, 2012: Florida remains a paradox when it comes to public preschool education. The Sunshine State is now first in the nation for providing 4-year-olds with access to its Voluntary Pre-K Program, a distinction tempered by other factors, says a landmark national report capping 10 years of research, read more from the most recent NIEER press release.
- April 9, 2012: Visit the 6th Annual All Kids Included Family Arts Festival on Saturday, May 5, 2012, read more.
- April 4, 2012: The Early Learning Coalition of Miami-Dade/Monroe can help your program obtain what many consider the Gold Standard in accreditation through the National Association for the Accreditation of Young Children (NAEYC)! Read more.
- April 3, 2012: Home Instruction for Parents of Preschool Youngsters (HIPPY) Program Serving Miami-Dade for 27 years! Research Update: HIPPY home visiting program effective for Latino families, read more.
- April 2, 2012: The Office of Child Care is pleased to announce that Let’s Move! Child Care (LMCC) is featured today on “The Family Room,” the Administration for Children and Families’ (ACF) new blog. ACF Deputy Assistant Secretary Linda Smith discusses LMCC goals and success stories and encourages everyone in the child care community to get involved in supporting a lifetime of healthy habits for all children. Read the entire blog here and make sure to bookmark “The Family Room.” For more information about LMCC, visit the Let’s Move! Child Care site.
- March 15, 2012: Local 10's Jen Herrera joined the Early Learning Coalition for a reading of "Green Eggs and Ham" to celebrate Dr. Seuss' 108th birthday. The children of Sierra Norword Calvary Child Development Center read along with Jen in their very own hats.
- March 14, 2012: Congratulations to our Senior Vice President & Chief Programs Officer, Blythe K. Robinson! She has been selected by Legacy Magazine as one of South Florida's 50 Most Powerful Black Professionals of 2012. We are so proud to have her as part of our team. Congratulations!
- March 14, 2012: Read the latest issue of the ELC News Alert.
- March 9, 2012: VPK Provider Readiness Rates Released - The Florida Department of Education has mailed the readiness rate letters to VPK providers. A total of 2,125 providers around the state received a letter notifying them that they did not meet the readiness rate for the 2010-11 program year, read more.
- March 9, 2012: Nutrition is not a chore. At least, it shouldn't be. Keeping your family healthy can be as fun as planting your own vegetable patch, riding bikes in the park or creating a meal together. This month we are offering you tips to make nutrition part of your everyday life. Small changes can make huge differences. All it takes is a little push in the right direction, read more in the latest issue of Parent Link.
- March 1, 2012: We must get word to legislators NOW: when making changes to Florida's early learning system, the right choice is language in SB 1974 and to oppose any amendments to this bill that will hurt Florida's children. Read more!
- March 1, 2012: Effective April 1, 2012, all fingerprints submitted for background screening must be completed using LiveScan. The Florida Department of Law Enforcement (FDLE) will no longer accept or process fingerprint cards. This is due to a change in Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) policy. For additional information, please go to the Department of Children and Families (DCF) Background Screening Office site or callat 305-377-5063 or 305-377-7681. You can also view a PDF about the LiveScan process on their website.
- February 29, 2012: Bills would "dismantle" early learning programs, advocates say, read more.
- February 29, 2012: In all the debate over education, one fact stands undisputed: Children who go off to their first year of school unprepared are likely to struggle throughout their school careers and life, always lagging behind those who got a proper start, read more
- February 27, 2012: On Thursday, the Senate overwhelmingly approved its $70.7 billion budget. The House's $69.2 billion spending plan was passed several weeks ago. With only two weeks remaining in the regularly scheduled legislative session, and both chambers having passed their budgets, legislators now prepare for the conference process where the differences in both budgets will be negotiated. It is expected that conference committees will begin meeting next week. read more.
- February 27, 2012: Be on guard. The future of early learning in Florida is at stake. The Legislature is moving toward a close. We must insist on quality because only real quality leads to children really being ready to succeed, read more.
- February 22, 2012: High-quality child care is one of our most effective tools in preparing our youngest children for school while keeping parents working. Yet proposed bills now moving through the Florida Legislature could erode the focus on high-quality early education, read more.
- February 21, 2012: As a candidate for governor in 1998, I proposed moving Florida’s foster care system to a community-based model in response to the tragedies of children being abandoned, neglected and abused in record numbers. My belief was if business and community leaders would view these precious children as their own, there would be a more innovative response, read more from former FL Governor Jeb Bush.
- February 21, 2012: Everywhere I turn these days, people are getting the message of early learning and growing readers. It is encouraging, read more from the Children's Movement.
- February 21, 2012: Jeb Bush: Education 'the leading indicator of a successful life' read more from Naples News.
- February 17, 2012: On Wednesday, the Senate Budget Committee passed a proposed 2012-2013 state budget totaling $70.7 billion, about $1.5 billion larger than the $69.2 billion House version, which the full chamber has already passed, read more form the United Way's Legislative Link.
- February 16, 2012: Florida’s Office of Early Learning is holding a Rules Workshop tomorrow, Friday, February 17, 2012 from 1:00 PM – 4:00 PM (EST). During this time the office will workshop five rules including Rule 6M-4.720 Child Screening (Workshop)and Rule 6M-4.730 Child Assessment (Workshop). To access the upcoming rule development workshop, please see the WebEx log in information at the bottom of this email. If you have not attended a WEBEX webinar recently, please log on 20-25 minutes early to allow time for the downloading of required software. We ask that you submit a comment/appearance card if you wish to make a comment during the workshop. Comment cards and an agenda can be found on our website at http://www.floridaearlylearning.com/EarlyLearning/
- February 16, 2012: The Pre-K Debates: What the Research Says About Teacher Quality, read more.
- February 13, 2012: Read the latest issues of the ELC News Alert!
- February 10, 2012: As we celebrate Black History Month, we wanted to share some of her children's book titles and encourage you to check one out at your local library or bookstore, read more for the February issue of Parent Link.
- February 10. 2012: It is critical for the early learning community to remain committed to protecting the interests of Florida's families. Continue to reach out to your Senators and Representatives about the proposals that diminish quality and accountability. Florida's families are counting on you. Read the latest issue of the Florida Children's Services Council - Capital Connection.
- February 10, 2012: If you knew that 90% of the intellectual capacities of your child’s brain would be developed before he or she ever entered a kindergarten classroom, wouldn’t you then take those first five years and high-quality early learning more seriously? Read more.
- February 8, 2012: The Consumer Confidence Index Report indicates that the consumer confidence among Floridians surged in January, up seven points to 77, read more.
- February 7, 2012: Miami-Dade County is seeking Requests of Expressions of Interest (REOI) from qualified parties to provide Head Start/Early Head Start (HS/EHS) Program service, read more.
- February 6, 2012: About 30 years ago, an experiment began in Chapel Hill, N.C., in which poor children were randomized into either regular "day care" in the community or into a model early-education program with learning games, teachers educated in early childhood development, weekly home visits to engage parents and oversight from the university. The results were remarkable, read more.
- February 6, 2012: Once the word got out that the Boys Girls Clubs had been left in a $6,000 summer lunch-money lurch by the Monroe County School District, the locals came calling, read more.
- February 3, 2012: Click here for information on the train-the- trainer course for Beyond Centers and Circle Time.
- February 3, 2012: Current legislation, in effect, takes the early learning out of our early learning system and instead reduces it to programs that simply warehouse children while their Parents work. These bills, if passed, would impair the state’s ability to ensure children are learning by eliminating accountability for school readiness providers and proper assessment read more from the Miami Herald.
- February 2, 2012: Read this Q & A session taken from a recent Florida Association for the Education of Young Children (FLAEYC) and DCF Child Care Program Office (CCPO) conference call. It contains several Frequently Asked Questions that may be beneficial to providers.
- February 1, 2012: The US Department of Health and Human Services, Administration for Children and Families, Office of Community Services will host an ASSET Summit on February 26, 2012 at the Phicol Williams Community Center in Florida City form 12 noon to 4:00 pm, click here to register.
- February 1, 2012: Need help Filing a tax return this year? Our partners from Legal Services of Greater Miami share some great tips and options on how to file your taxes. Download guide.
- January 29, 2012: EARLY LEARNING UNDER ATTACK - Read the latest issue of the Florida Children's Services Council - Capital Connection.
- January 29, 2012: "It's sinful." Those words, via The Orlando Sentinel, come from Dawn Steward, head of the Florida KidCare Coalition for Orange and Seminole counties and a member of The Movement. She was responding to our state's failure to receive millions in federal funds distributed to 23 other states to expand access for health insurance for children. Read more from the Children's Movement.
- January 25, 2012: The South Florida's unemployment rate is 10.2 percent, a slight increase contributed to a departure from a busy holiday hiring season, read more.
- January 24, 2012: Florida's unemployment rate falls below 10.0 Percent for the first time in more than two and a half years, read more.
- January 24, 2012: MDC's Renowned School of Education Officially Names its State-of-the-Art Pre-School Lab, read more.
- January 24, 2012: The Department of Children and Family Services, Child Care Program Office, will be conducting two public workshops on February 29, 2012 and March 2, 2012 for proposed rule changes to Chapter 65C-22, F.A.C. The Child Care Program Office is interested in comments from providers, our community partners and coalition staff, etc. related to the proposed rules changes
- January 17, 2012: Announcing the Fourth Annual Celebrate Literacy Week, Florida! Join us in celebrating the successes of Florida's schools and students, by participating in the Celebrate Literacy Week, Florida! "Take the Lead and Read" campaign. Administrators, teachers, students, and parents are all leaders and can take the challenge to lead others into success, read more!
- January 10, 2012: Read the latest issue of the ELC News Alert!
- January 5, 2012: Join us in celebrating Children’s Week 2012! Our event is on January 20 at the Miami Children’s Museum. There will be lots of great organizations joining us, including the Miami Fire-Rescue team, Read Conmigo, the Alliance for Early Care and Education and many more, read more!
- January 5, 2012: For Florida Voluntary Prekindergarten program providers and administrators, this link provides access to the secure readiness rate website for Florida VPK providers and administrators. This link can be used to login to your secured account to complete the verification, dispute, acknowledgment and other VPK Readiness Rate reprocesses. Go to VPK readiness rate website.
- January 4, 2012: VPK Providers: There are several changes to the readiness rate process and calculation this year. You should have received a letter from the Department of Education in December. Use the 4-digit User ID listed and the password “ready2012” to access your Readiness Rate. A copy of the letter can be found here.
- January 4, 2012: The Department of Children and Family Services, Child Care Program Office, will be conducting two public workshops on January 9 and 11 for proposed rule changes to Chapter 65C-22, F.A.C. The Child Care Program Office is interested in comments from providers, our community partners and coalition staff, etc. related to the proposed rules changes.
- January 4, 2012: Join us for the Wesley House Provider Mini-Conference “Take It to Heart” on Saturday, January 14. Presenters for the mini-conference include Keith Pentz, Education Consultant for Kaplan, and Amanda Moore, Statewide Inclusion Network Coordinator. The focus of the three workshops is relationship building and the heart and mind connection for all children, infants through preschool, including special needs, read more. To register, click here.
- December 27, 2011: Miami-Dade County will hold a workshop for interested child care providers to discuss the requirements to become a Head Start provider. These discussions will include future business opportunities with Miami-Dade County's Head Start Program, read more.
- December 23, 2011: The 41st Annual Florida Keys Health Fair will be held on Saturday, January 21, 2012, read more.
- December 19, 2011: Let’s Move! Child Care is an effort to promote children’s health by encouraging and supporting healthier physical activity and nutrition practices for children in child care. With more than 20% of children between 2 and 5 years old overweight or obese, the child care community is an essential ally in the effort to prevent childhood obesity, support children’s healthy development, and prevent the occurrence of later chronic disease. Read more!
- December 16, 2011: "It is unfortunate that the U.S. Departments of Education and Health and Human Services decided not to award Florida the Race to the Top Early Learning Challenge Grant which would have gone to the benefit of at-risk children," read more from Gov. Rick Scott regarding the Race to the Top Early Learning Challenge.
- December 9, 2011: The Monroe County Take it to Heart mini conference will be held on January 14, 2012, read more.
- December 9, 2011: Open Forum Conference Call on Monday December 12 from 10am to 11am. Dial-in #: 786-389-5135 or 866-502-2994
Conference Code 802#
The ELC Board of Directors has 3 provider representatives: for profit, faith-based and those serving children with disabilities. Last month's conference call was postponed due to technical problems caused by the flood in the ELC office. Make sure to be on the call this month to share your thoughts and concerns.
- December 6, 2011: Tax Credits Outreach Resources – Spread the Word, read more.
- December 6, 2011: Read the latest issue of the ELC News Alert!
- December 6, 2011: Bike and Safety Event - Miami Children's Hospital and Kohl's Associates in Action Team will be fitting children for bike helmets, read more.
- December 6, 2011: CHANGE A CHILD'S LIFE! The Florida Guardian ad Litem Program is a partnership of community advocates and professional staff providing a powerful voice on behalf of Florida's abused and neglected children. They need you! Watch this video then visit http://guardianadlitem.org to find out how you can make a difference in a child's life.
- December 5, 2011: DCF updates the requirements for manual and mechanical dish washing, read more.
- December 1, 2011: The ODT training offered by Steps to Success, scheduled for January 31-Feb 2 has extended its application deadline to Monday, December 12. Program description, State of Florida Registry Trainer Application, Application to the ODT Facilitator Training Program.
- December 1, 2011: The U.S. Census Bureau released data on local county poverty rates Tuesday, revealing that child poverty -- individuals under 18 years old -- is on the rise in several populous counties in Florida, read more.
- December 1, 2011: Tantalizing tales and take-home books! Literacy effort puts 1,200 volumes in the hands of Keys kids, read more!
- November 30, 2011: Put on your thinking caps and your virtual walking shoes.
Get ready for an exciting learning adventure! Welcome to KidVision VPK, read more.
- November 14, 2011: We have an exciting opportunity for you to interact with Provider Representatives sitting on the Early Learning Coalition's Board of Directors. We have scheduled monthly conference calls beginning in November for providers to voice their concerns, ask questions or just get to know the Board Members. Please join us today Monday, November 14 from 10:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. please dial our conference line at 786-389-5135 or 866-502-2994. When prompted for the code, dial 802#.
- November 9, 2011: Want to get your National CDA Credential? Click here for more details.
- November 8, 2011: The ELC Coral Gables Office is open on a limited basis. Due to the flooding we cannot accept visitors. Also, some staff members have been relocated, the best way to contact them is through email. Click here for our staff directory. Please be patient as we resume our regular operations. Thank you.
- November 3, 2011: In this issue of Parent Link, we are excited to provide you with a wide-range of information for the holiday season. With fun activities and special articles from our community partners, Legal Services of Greater Miami and Speech Therapy Center, we hope it brings some ease to the holiday madness and lets you focus on what's important during this time of year: family and friends. Read More.
- November 2, 2011: Read the latest issue of the ELC News Alert!
- November 2, 2011: Children's Movement lays out its legislative battle plan. Read More.
- October 27, 2011: University of Miami Miller School of Medicine and Florida Keys AHEC are among the sponsors of this event. Free tests and screens include: cholesterol, blood glucose/diabetes, blood pressure, skin cancer screening, women’s health evaluation and pap smears, men’s health exam, children’s health evaluation and dental exam. Read More.
- October 27, 2011: Please join Wesley House and ELC Monroe staff for the quarterly provider meeting. Two provider workshops (Shared Interactive Reading and Fitness & Health in Childcare Settings) are also being offered. Four (4) in-service training hours are available for attendees. Read More.
- October 26, 2011: The U.S. Departments of Education and Health and Human Services announced today that 35 states, D.C. and Puerto Rico submitted applications for the Race to the Top-Early Learning Challenge. Read More.
- October 25, 2011: TICKETS Fore CHARITY™ is a unique fundraising initiative designed to raise funds for local non-profit organizations where PGA TOUR events are held. The WGC-Cadillac Championship is providing charitable organizations the opportunity to promote the sale of tournament tickets with 100% of the net proceeds from each purchase benefiting the promoting charity. Read More.
- October 21, 2011: Florida’s seasonally adjusted unemployment rate in September 2011 was 10.6 percent. Florida’s seasonally adjusted total nonagricultural employment in September increased by 23,300 jobs. Read More.
- October 19, 2011: Despite the efforts of certain anti-job organizations that protect the status quo for education in the state of Florida, Governor Rick Scott has submitted an application for the federal Race to the Top grant program. The Florida Chamber of Commerce remains committed to preparing Florida to compete in the global marketplace by ensuring a quality education is available to all of Florida’s students. Read the rest of this message from the Florida Chamber of Commerce.
- October 18, 2011: The Florida Early Learning and Developmental Standards for Four-Year-Olds were formally adopted by the State Board of Education. These Standards create a common framework and language for providers of VPK Education Programs as well as School Readiness Programs serving four-year-olds for the purpose of teaching and learning. Click here to download the standards.
- October 13, 2011: Please join us for a Department of Education Rulemaking Workshop. The purpose of this event is to allow providers to contribute to the adoption of procedures for the DOE to calculate each VPK provider’s Kindergarten Readiness Rate. Download flyer here, read proposed rule changes here.
- October 13, 2011: To prevent mosquito-borne diseases, the Florida Department of Health recommends practicing: DRAIN and COVER! Read more.
- October 13, 2011: Each year, childcare centers, schools and individuals throughout Florida participate in the time-honored exhibition of "Hanging of the Hands," where works of art are hung throughout the Capitol Rotunda, creating a beautiful display for everyone to enjoy, read more.
- October 13, 2011: Gov. Rick Scott signs a proclamation in observance of Lights on Afterschool Day on October 20, 2011, read more.
- October 11, 2011: The Children’s Movement of Florida is launching its Dream Prizes promotion that will run Oct. 1 through Dec. 31 and is open to Florida residents, read more.
- October 7, 2011: Safety Savvy! A Guide for Safe Family Fun. In this issue of Parent Link we provide you a wide range of information, from seasonal safety tips to special articles and information that may be beneficial to you, your family, or someone you may know, read more!
- October 6, 2011: Appropriations Committee Releases the Draft Fiscal Year 2012 Labor, Health and Human Services Funding Bill, read more.
- October 4, 2011: Reading Is Fundamental book distributions are back! In order to participate you must attend the information workshop, read more.
- September 30, 2011: The Fatherhood Task Force of South Florida and UM invite you to the 2 Annual Fatherhood Conference: Building Family Success: Keeping Fathers Involved, read more.
- September 30, 2011: The latest issue of the ELC Newsletter has been released, read more.
- September 29, 2011: The pre-k movement grows daily. In an effort to keep advocates, policymakers, and educators informed, Pre-K Now sends an email with short summaries of stories on pre-k and related programs, read more and subscribe.
- September 22, 2011: Board of Ed approves English learner, pre-k rules, read more.
- September 21, 2011: READ - - All In: Children Are Key to America's Economic Recovery by Peter A. Gorski recently published by Zero to Three.
- September 16, 2011: Florida's August employment figures released by AWI, read more.
- September 13, 2011: The ELC of Broward is seeking a motivated and dynamic CEO to oversee operations and lead the agency into its next phase of growth, read more.
- September 13, 2011: Dynamic Team to Lead New Florida Department of Economic Opportunity, read more.
- September 9, 2011: We need your help to write a winning Race to the Top proposal! As valued partners in our early learning system you have first-hand knowledge about how our system works and how it could work better. Please read the Race to the Top presentation then please fill out this survey as best you can. There is much we need to know to develop a strong plan for the future of Florida's early learning system.
- September 8, 2011: Being a kid is all about finding your own way to do things. It's about learning how to use the slide on your own and finding ways to make new friends. Learn more about Exploring Early Childhood with your Child in our latest issue of Parent Link, read more.
- September 8, 2011: The Center for Children and Families at Florida International University would like to invite you to attend our Fall 2011 Speaker Series on Evidence-Based Interventions for Childhood and Adolescent Mental Health Problems, read more.
- September 8, 2011: Legislative Panel OKs Early Learning Race to the Top Application, read more.
- September 7, 2011: Commissioner Barbara J. Jordan urges Gov. Scott and Florida Legislature to apply for Race to the Top early education funding, read more.
- September 7, 2011: Join AWI for a presentation and discussion on the Race to the Top grant. AWI values all partners able to participate and help Florida secure these funds that would benefit Florida's Early Learning system, read more.
- September 2, 2011: Governor Scott Joins Domestic Security Officials to Launch “If You See Something, Say Something”™ Campaign in Florida, read more.
- September 2, 2011: Share a Little Sunshine launches the Florida Fan Game, click here to participate.
- September 2, 2011: Labor Day Message from Agency for Workforce Innovation
Director Cynthia Lorenzo, read more.
- August 29, 2011: Gov. Rick Scott: Let's compete for $100 million Race to Top grant for young kids but lawmakers must accept other federal money before qualifying for Race to the Top grant, read more from the Sun Sentinel
- August 29, 2011: Race to the Top – Early Learning Challenge: Summary of Requirements, Priorities, and Selection Criteria, released by the Early Learning Challenge Collaborative.
- August 24, 2011: Join the Melissa Institute this weekend for a great movie on violence prevention, read more.
- August 19, 2011: Governor Scott and Secretary Browning Count Down to Florida's 500th Anniversary, read more.
- August 17, 2011: The latest version of the ELC Newsletter has been released, read more.
- August 10, 2011: Read the August issue of Parent Link, Back to School with the Right Tips and Tools.
- August 9, 2011: Download Count Me In the new resource tool kit for early childhood inclusion.
- August 8, 2011: Anyone looking for upstream solutions to the biggest problems facing America should look to Nobel Prize winning University of Chicago Economics Professor James Heckman's work to understand the great gains to be had by investing in early and equal development of human potential, watch the videos.
- August 2, 2011: Read the speech given by Dave Lawrence to the Board of Education.
- July 22, 2011: AWI releases June's employment figures, read more.
- July 18, 2011: Join us for Come Together Day this Saturday, July 23, at Golden Glades Elementary, read more.
- July 12, 2011: Summer calls for picnics at the park, afternoons at the beach, and any other outdoor events you and your family enjoys doing. In this issue of Parent Link, we want to make sure you are covered in summer safety tips and more; from sun protection to bug bites to any outdoor event you and your family will have, read more.
- June 30, 2011: Cops oppose cuts to early-childhood education: Two local police chiefs joined a press conference this week to draw attention to cuts in funding for early-childhood education, read more from the Miami Herald.
- June 23, 2011: The Florida Philanthropic Network summarizes the impact on non profits of the Florida's FY 2011-2012 Budget, read more.
- June 17, 2011: AWI releases Florida's Employment figures for May 2011, read more.
- June 16, 2011: The high cost of scrimping on pre-K, read more from the St. Petersburg Times.
- June 16, 2011: The Children’s Trust, in partnership with the Early Learning Coalition of Miami-Dade/Monroe and other agencies, has done its utmost. Yet 4,500 local school-age children currently enrolled in Florida’s subsidized School Readiness program must now be cast out. Read more.
- June 14, 2011: The ELC has scheduled the following two community town hall meetings in Monroe County so that parents may gain a better understanding of the impact the early care and education budget reductions mandated by Governor Rick Scott, and effective July 1, 2011, will have on you and your children. We welcome your feedback and encourage your attendance at either of these two sessions. Sessions and dates for Miami-Dade County and Monroe County.
- June 8, 2011: BULLARD CRITICIZES SCHOOL READINESS BUDGET CUT, read more here and here.
- June 2, 2011: Please take a moment to read David Lawrence’s most recent op-ed in The Miami Herald regarding Gov. Scott’s $615 million in vetoes, his statements on education, as well as the $30 million cut from Florida’s voluntary pre-kindergarten budget, read more.
- June 1, 2011: Our Look Before You Lock campaign aims to help busy parents remember to look in the passenger and back seats of their vehicles before they lock their car doors, read more.
- May 27, 2011: Miami-Dade College North Campus Pre-School Lab has a great program to help give children a healthier start, watch this now!
- May 24, 2011: Have questions about child development between the ages of 0 to 5 years old? Ask Dr. Hughes, read more.
- May 24, 2011: Governor Scott proclaims MAY 22-28, 2011 as Florida Hurricane Preparedness Week, read more.
- May 20, 2011: Are some daycare providers cashing in on kids? Read and watch the story from News Channel 5- Contact 5 investigation.
- May 20, 2011: Miami-Dade Public Library System to Offer Free Vision Screenings & Follow Up Care for Children Ages 5-17, read more.
- May 20, 2011: AWI releases Florida's Employment figures for April 2011, read more.
- May 17, 2011: UM Mailman Center and Early Steps invite you to Early Steps-Health & Developmental Conference : Practical Strategies for Families on May 19, 2011, read more.
- May 16, 2011: The Department of Education (DOE) and the Agency for Workforce Innovation (AWI) will be hosting two rule development workshops related to the forthcoming Florida Early Learning and Developmental Standards for Four-Year-Olds (2011), read more.
- May 12, 2011: Read our legislative page to see the bills passed during the 2011 regular session.
- May 11, 2011: Florida Family Child Care Home Association is hosting the conference Enhancing our Minds . . . . 2011, read more.
- May 11, 2011: Read the latest ELC Message which highlights the impact of the latest legislative session.
- May 9, 2011: The Agency for Workforce Innovation, Office of Early Learning announces a public hearing to which all persons are invited to comment on the Child Care Development Fund State Plan, read more.
- May 6 2011: GOVERNOR SCOTT PROCLAIMS MILITARY SPOUSE RECOGNITION MONTH IN FLORIDA, read more.
- May 6, 2011: The Early Learning Coalition wishes Providers a much deserved Provider Appreciation Day! Read more in our News Alert. Read the proclamation form the Governor.
- May 5, 2011: Legislature fails Florida’s children! Read the rest of David Lawrence's opinion article from the Miami Herald.
- May 5, 2011: May's Parent Link is all about electronic media! In this issue we are providing information on computer usage and your preschooler, computer software, online resources for you and your family, and much more! read more.
- May 4, 2011: Read the latest issue of the ELC News Alert.
- May 3, 2011: Applications for the Micro-Enterprise Assistance Program in City of Miami (District 2), click here for more details.
- May 2, 2011: THE FINAL STRETCH - BUDGET CONFERENCE IN HIGH GEAR, read more in the latest issue of the FCSC's Capitol Connection.
- April 26, 2011: New fill-it-in VPK Parent application now available!
- April 26, 2011: A Message from Governor Rick Scott: This week, families throughout Florida mark the Passover and Easter holidays. Ann and I, along with Lt. Governor Jennifer Carroll and her family, extend best wishes to you and your family during this special time, and to our troops far from home as they fight to protect the freedoms we all enjoy , read more.
- April 26, 2011; Join David Henrie, star of Emmy-winning series "Wizards of Waverly Place," and his friends for a fun-filled evening of entertainment, music and comedy to benefit the United Way, read more.
- April 26, 2011: Read the latest issue of our VPK News Flash!
- April 26, 2011: The Miami Children’s Initiative has scheduled meetings for its Board of Directors on the following dates May 10, May 24 and June 21. All meetings will begin at 6:00 PM and will be held in the 4th Floor Conference Room of the Joseph Caleb Center, 5400 NW 22nd Avenue. Ms. Annie Neasman is Board Chair. All are welcome to attend.
- April 21, 2011: Miami-Dade County Parks and Recreation along with DCF invite you to Family Fun Day on May 7, read more.
- April 20, 2011: The House and Senate scrambled last week to complete a long agenda and get bills heard before committee meetings end next week, read the rest of the story in the latest issue of the FCSC's Capitol Connection.
- April 19, 2011: ELC and partners are offering Child Care Licensing Provider Training, read more.
- April 18, 2011: The Miami-Dade County Department of Cultural Affairs, together with The Children’s Trust, is presenting the 5th annual FREE “All Kids Included Family Arts Festival – Dreams Take Flight” for children and families of all abilities on Saturday, April 23rd from 10 AM - 5 PM, read more. Click here for event details.
- April 18, 2011: FACCM invites you to a webinar on April 21 featuring Kris Murray, President of Child Care Marketing Solutions, read more.
- April 18, 2011: A Message from Governor Rick Scott: We received encouraging news that Florida’s unemployment rate for March is 11.1 percent. While that number is still too high, it is the lowest unemployment rate we’ve seen in more than a year, read more.
- April 15, 2011: AWI releases Florida's Employment figures for March 2011, read more.
- April 13, 2011: Roughly midway through the legislative session, the House and Senate passed their respective budgets through each chamber's appropriations committees. Both chambers are scheduled to debate the budget bills on the floor late next week. Budget conference will most likely begin during the second week of April, read more from the latest issue of Capitol Connection from the Florida Children's Services Council.
- April 12, 2011: Congratulations to ELC Board Member, David Williams, Jr., who has been appointed to the Miami Gardens City Council, representing Seat 5.
- April 8, 2011: The Board of Directors of the Miami Children’s Initiative has two meetings coming up, the Business Plan Hoc Committee on April 11 and the Board of Directors meeting on April 12.
- April 6, 2011: This month Parent Link is celebrating Child Abuse Prevention Month with helpful tips and informative articles on how to prevent child abuse.
- April 6, 2011: AWI and DOE developed one set of standards for Florida’s four‐year‐olds participating in either School Readiness or VPK. They are seeking public comment on the DRAFT Standards, read more to participate.
- April 6, 2011: Read the latest issue of the AELC newsletter!
- April 5, 2011: If you can sing, act, play an instrument or have any other talent this is your time to show it off! You are invited to audition for the World Refugee Day, read more.
- April 5, 2011: Read the VPK Good Exemption Rule.
- April 4, 2011: Join us as we celebrate the Day of the Young Child on Saturday, April 9, read more.
- April 4, 2011: Read the latest issue of the Capital Connection from the Florida Children's Service Council.
- March 31, 2011: VPK Assessment Kits are available for pre-order April 25 - May 13, to get the state-wide discount, read more.
- March 30, 2011: The latest issue of the ELC News Alert has been released, read more.
- March 25, 2011: AWI releases Florida's Employment figures for February 2011, read more.
- March 21, 2011: Read The Economics of Inequality, the Value of Early Childhood Education by James Heckman.
- March 20, 2011: Read Steps to Success a News and Information Resource for Florida Early Care and Education Trainers.
- March 14, 2011: Join the Miami-Dade county Public Schools as they celebrate the Week of the Young Child, read more.
- March 14, 2011: Join the National CASA’s Forgotten Children’s Festival on April 2, 2011, read more.
- March 14, 2011: Read the March Money Matters issue of the ELC's Parent Link.
- March 14, 2011: Read the latest issue of the Florida Children's Services Council legislative newsletter, Capitol Connection.
- March 14, 2011: ELC Coral Gables office phones are working after some technical difficulties last week. We would like to thank you for your patience.
- March 8, 2011: Take Action: Tell Your Senators to Protect and Sustain Child Care and Head Start Funding, read more.
- March 7, 2011: Read Governor Scott's latest message!
- March 3, 2011: The Early Learning Coalition of Miami-Dade/Monroe is seeking candidates to fill positions for the Board of Directors. Please contact Lee ana Pena at 305-646-7220, ext. 246 for an application or download the Board of Directors Membership Application for Governor appointed private business sector or faith based provider. Applications must be submitted no later than April 18, 2011.
- March 3, 2011: Join us at the Miami Children's Museum on March 18 at 4:00pm to celebrate Children's Week, read more.
- March 3, 2011: Providers remember to send your hands to Yesenia Reyes before March 11!
- March 3, 2011: The latest issue of the ELC News Alert has been released, read more.
- March 3, 2011: Join us on March 9th to Celebrate Children's Week with the We Give Books Read Mobile Tour, read more.
- March 2, 2011: Join Quality Counts for a Healthy Living Training that will address ways to prevent obesity and live healthier. This training will be offered in English and Spanish, read more.
- February 24, 2011: Have you registered for the "Empowering the Unemployed Expo" It is not too late. Now more than ever, it is important to be ahead of the competition. "Empowering the Unemployed Expo" will take place on Friday, February 25, 2011, from 9:00a.m. - 3:00p.m at Florida National College 4425 West 20 Avenue in Hialeah, Florida, read more.
- February 24, 2011: The ELC strategic planning meeting will be held on Saturday, February 26, 2011 from 8:30am to 3:00pm at the ELC Board Room, 2555 Ponce de Leon Blvd, 5th floor.
- February 23, 2011:Join the Miami Children's Museum as they celebrate Dr. Sues' 107th Birthday and commemorate one of the world's greatest children's book storytellers, read more.
- February 22, 2011: House Passes Spending Package with Deep Cuts to Child Care and Head Start. The spending package is now heading to the Senate, read more.
- February 17, 2011: Miami-Dade Parents ready to register your children for VPK? Download the registration flyer for more information.
- February 17, 2011: Miami-Dade VPK Providers! New expedited registration services for providers with 35 VPK students or more, read more.
- February 15, 2011: Download the National Women’s Law Center Tax Credits Outreach Campaign toolkit for valuable resources on getting the most from your income tax refund.
- February 15, 2011: All Kids Included Family Arts Festival wil be on Saturday, April 23rd at South Miami-Dade Cultural Arts Center.
- February 15, 2011: Read Governor's Scott's proposed budget. For more details on Governor's Scott's Florida budget reform visit, http://letsgettowork.state.fl.us/
- February 11, 2011: Read a blog from Vance Louis, Statewide Coordinator, about today’s Health Regulation Committee vote on SB 406. The Children’s Movement of Florida and the ELC support SB 406, which would allow an estimated 150,000+ children to receive coverage under Kid Care.
- February 8, 2011: Miami-Dade Area Health Education Center will be providing health screenings for children birth to five who participate in school readiness funded programs, click here to download parental consent form.
- February 7, 2011: Child Care Standards and Improvements Work Group report has been released, read more.
- February 7, 2011: Join Quality Counts for a Healthy Living Training that will address ways to prevent obesity and live healthier. This training will be offered in English and Spanish, read more.
- February 4, 2011: The ELC Board of Directors will hold a strategic planning meeting on Saturday, February 26, 2011, read more.
- February 4, 2011: Read the latest issue of the Association of Early Learning Coalitions newsletter.
- February 3, 2011: Parent Link is all about nutrition this month! Have a picky eater? Read through the latest issue for tips and ideas, read more.
- February 2, 2011: The latest issue of the ELC News Alert has been released, read more.
- January 30, 2011: Thank you for your advocacy on behalf of children and parents. There was an overwhelming response to Saturday's open enrollment day which is a clear reflection of the tremendous need for subsidized child care slots in our community. Working families are simply desperate for help with the high cost of child care, read more.
- January 27, 2011: Meet authors Lynne Katz (University of Miami) and Judge Cindy Letterman (11th Judicial Circuit, FL) and learn the most effective ways to work with courts, improve child–parent relationships, and plan interventions for vulnerable young children and families, read more.
- January 26, 2011: The U.S. Department of Education today launched a new web site that provides convenient and transparent access to key national and state education data, highlighting the progress being made across the country in every level of the education system and encouraging communities to engage in a conversation about their schools. The United States Education Dashboard, available at http://dashboard.ed.gov
- January 25, 2011: Join Quality Counts for a Healthy Living Training that will address ways to prevent obesity and live healthier. This training will be offered in English and Spanish, read more.
- January 21, 2011: AWI releases December 2010 unemployment figures, read more.
- January 20, 2011: Vice Chairwoman Edmonton has announced a new cycle of the annual Mom and Pop Small Business Grant Program. Small business owners are eligible to receive up to $10,000 to help their businesses grow. Click here for the grant application.
- January 20, 2011: The Gold Seal Rule Promulgation Workshop scheduled for January 27, 2011 has been cancelled while Governor Scott's Executive Order Number 11-01 is reviewed. The rescheduled date will be posted.
- January 19, 2011: Miami-Dade County will conduct a Managed Enrollment Initiative for residents seeking School Readiness funded child care services, read more.
- January 17, 2011: The latest issue of the ELC News Alert has been released, read more.
- January 13, 2011: The Niagara Conference has moved to Miami!
Sixth Biennial "Niagara in Miami" Conference on Evidence-Based Interventions for Childhood and Adolescent Mental Health Problems. Register now for the February 16-18 conference, read more.
- January 7, 2011: A Message from Governor Rick Scott: I am pleased to serve as your new Governor and want to take this opportunity to call on you to join me in our effort to get Florida back to work. I am enclosing excerpts of my inaugural speech which highlight my agenda. I look forward to working with you to achieve these goals during these next four years. Read Governor Scott's Inaugural address.
- January 6, 2011: Parent Link New Year's Resolution issue is out! With the start of a new year, we want you and your family to start the year off right, read more.
- January 6, 2011: Join Quality Counts for a Healthy Living Training that will address ways to prevent obesity and live healthier. This training will be offered in English and Spanish, read more.
- January 6, 2011: DCF Child Care Program Office has added information for
the next Gold Seal Rule Promulgation Workshop scheduled for January 27, 2011, it includes the most recent versions of all documents pertaining to the proposed Rule, read more.
- January 5, 2011: Governor Rick Scott signed Executive Order No. 11-01 which freezes all new regulations and establishes the Office of Fiscal Accountability and Regulatory Reform, which will review all rules prior to promulgation as well as agency practices and contracts.
- January 5, 2011: VPK Provider Application Training Sessions will be held to assist provider with the revised VPK Forms 10 and 11, read more.
- January 4, 2011: Join Wesley House and the ELC for Conscious Discipline: Creating Problem Solving Classrooms training seminar on Saturday, January 22, 2011 in Key Largo, read more.
- December 21, 2010: The ELC Board of Directors passed two important policies for School Readiness Providers: School Readiness Funded Provider license Policy and the Child Safety and Licensing Policy, read more.
- December 21, 2010: After more than 30 infant and toddler deaths last year, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission officially outlawed the manufacture, sale, and re-sale of drop-side cribs, read more.
- December 15, 2010: Dr. Edward Tonic of Harvard University and Children's Hospital Boston- Child Development Unit has devised a way to show how important this social connection is to babies and how much it affects them when the relationship of a caregiver or parent is broken, click here to see video
- December 13, 2010: The Nonprofit Business NOVO Awards are open to not-for-profit organizations and recognize programs that have made a difference in the lives of the people they serve, produce outcomes that exemplify innovative excellence, and feature best practices of not-for-profit businesses. To download 2010 application form click here.
- December 10, 2010: The Miami Children’s Initiative, Inc. will hold its first Board of Directors’ meeting on Tuesday, January 4, 2011 at 5:30 pm. The meeting will be held at the Joseph Caleb Center, 5400 NW 22 Avenue in the Conference Room of Suite 701. The vision of the Initiative is to work together to build “A Prosperous Community for Liberty City’s Children and Families”. Ms. Annie Newsman is chair of the Board.
- December 9, 2010: The 40th Annual Florida Keys Health Fairs will be held on Saturday, January 22, 2011, read more.
- December 6, 2010: The ELC Board of Directors approved a reimbursement rate alignment for School Readiness Providers that meet the requirements, read more.
- December 4, 2010: The ELC publishes its first issue of Parent Link, a parent newsletter that will help connect parents to community resources and the Early Learning Coalition, read more.
- December 1, 2010: The Children's Movement of Florida has just released a video highlighting five issues of first focus, a portion of the CNN national story that was seen by millions of people, and highlights from the Milk Party rallies in which 15,000 Floridians participated, click here to watch.
- November 29, 2010: Rule Development Workshops for Gold Seal have been announced for December 9 and December 14, read more.
- November 23, 2010: Join us and the National Women's Law Center on November 30 for a National Call in day to tell the White House to urge Congress to not cut 300,000 children from the Child Care and Development Block Grant, read more.
- November 23, 2010: Join the National Women's Law Center for a conference call on What the Child Care and Early Learning Community Needs to Know About the New Health Care Law, on December 8, 3:00pm, click here to register.
- November 21, 2010: The American Federation of Teachers publishes resolution High-Quality Early Education for All, read more.
- November 19, 2010: Effective immediately, the Coalition's Board of Directors has approved a moratorium on adding new providers to the School Readiness funded program. This means that the Coalition will not accept School Readiness Provider Contracts for new providers until further notice, read more.
- November 15, 2010: Issue #11 of the ELC News Alert has been released, read more.
- November 10, 2010: ELC Board Member Alan Eckstein reads to children at the Inez Martin Child Development Center in Key West. The coalition recently received a Reading Is Fundamental grant that will provide books for 1,252 Monroe County children, read more.
- November 8, 2010: The Provider Services Committee Meeting scheduled for today, November 8, has been cancelled. The rescheduled date will be posted in our calendar.
- November 6, 2010: Agency for Workforce Innovation announced that employers can apply for a federal Work Opportunity Tax Credit (WOTC) using a new online system that can dramatically speed up the approval process, read more.
- November 5, 2010: State of Florida will require School Readiness providers to submit a Child Care Certificate for all new School Readiness children, read more; see sample Child Care Certificate.
- October 29, 2010: Meet and greet with new ELC board member Shaleen Fagundo 10/29/10 @ 1:00pm. South Dade Government Center 10710 SW 211 ST, Room 203.
- October 28, 2010: Important message from the county regarding redetermination, read more.
- October 27, 2010: Lights On Afterschool had over 7,000 rallies, read more.
- October 21, 2010: Issue #10 of the ELC News Alert has been released, read more.
- October 14, 2010: FIU and Green Family Foundation Neighborhood Help are sponsoring a Health Career Event at Carol City High School on OCT 21, read more.
- October 14, 2010: Florida Family Child Care Home Association (FFCCHA) will have their Professional Development Leadership Summit November 5 - 7th, read more.
- October 12, 2010: As part of the new background screening law (HB7069), providers must use Affidavit of Good Moral Character, read more.
- October 8, 2010: Last chance for Miami-Dade providers to be a part of RIF! Come to the ELC office anytime on October 13 during these hours 9:30am to noon and 1:00pm to 2:00pm.
- September 29, 2010: RAIN or SHINE the Milk Party is on tonight! Miami-Dade County Auditorium, 2901 W. Flagler St. Doors open at 6 p.m. Program starts at 6:30 p.m. Be a voice for our children!
- September 23, 2010: Issue #9 of the ELC News Alert has been released, read more.
- September 22, 2010: University of Miami Miller School of Medicine’s Department of Pediatrics and Healthy Start Coalition of Miami‐Dade are joining forces to launch The Jasmine Project on Saturday, September 25, 2010, read more.
- September 20, 2010: Miami-Dade Providers, interested in being part of the RIF book distributions? You must attend one of the information workshops they start next Tuesday, September 28, read more.
- September 16, 2010: Miami-Dade County's Child Development Services (CDS) Office in Miami Gardens is open again.
- September 16, 2010: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) launched the first Web site in Spanish to help consumers take control of their health care, visit CuidadodeSalud.gov.
- September 15, 2010: You must register to vote by October 4, 2010 so that you can vote in November! Visit miamidade.gov/elections for more details.
- September 14, 2010: Volunteer your Time and Take the Bus to the Children's Movement of Florida Milk Party Rally in Miami-Dade County on Wednesday, September 29th! For more information contact email@example.com.
- September 14, 2010: Attention providers! The ELC offering five scholarships for directors or teachers (3 from Miami-Dade and 2 from Monroe) to attend the FLAEYC conference in Orlando. To enter the raffle: email your name, center and contact information to firstname.lastname@example.org before September 20, 2010. To find out more about the conference go to flaeyc.org.
- September 10, 2010: The new background screening law (HB7069) for child care programs, which went into effect beginning August 1, 2010, requires the use of the Affidavit of Good Moral Character (Form CF1649), Read more in the latest issue of the VPK News Flash.
- September 9, 2010: This Saturday (September 11) - Dade Blue Health Fair and Miami-Dade Health Insurance Utilization Program (MD-HIUP) Launch, read more.
- September 9, 2010: Go to the Fall for the Arts Festival on Sunday, September 12 at the Adrienne Arsht Center, read more.
- September 9, 2010: Proposed CCEP funding rule has been released, read more.
- September 9, 2010: Watch I am Florida, then join the Miami-Dade Milk Party to help create a better future for our children!
- September 9, 2010: Premium Assistance Offers Even More Residents Affordable Healthcare (MD-HIUP)--One-Year Anniversary of Miami-Dade Blue, read more.
- August 27, 2010: Issue #8 of the ELC News Alert has been released, read more.
- August 26, 2010: By almost every objective standard, Florida ranks poorly in measure after measure of how we invest in children. Now you can do something to change that! Read more about the Miami-Dade Rally. Read more about the Monroe Rally.
- August 23, 2010: Keysnews.com reports that the State expands kids health care program
- August 18, 2010: The Children's Movement of Florida continues to hold "Milk Parties" on behalf of Florida's Children. Find out more about this.
- August 13, 2010: The Child Development Educational Alliance will hold their next conference October 8-9, 2010 in Jacksonville, read more.
- August 10, 2010: Read the latest issue of Teach More / Love More from The Early Childhood Initiative Foundation.
- August 5, 2010: The Children's Movement of Florida to Announce Launch of ‘Milk Party’ Campaign, read more.
- August 5, 2010: The Early Childhood Initiative Foundation was awarded a $5 million dollar grant from the U.S. Department of Education. The award speaks volumes of the confidence that the Kellogg Foundation and the federal government have on investing in our community, and on the partnerships that have been forged with major universities, the school system and community organizations. Much of the credit for this grant belongs to Ana Sejeck who led the application process and is such an important figure in these unprecedented partnerships, read more.
- August 5, 2010: The Children's Movement unveils its new bus the Children's Express that will travel all around Florida to highlight the important role we all play as our children's advocates.
- August 5, 2010: ELC Grievance Policy has been updated please click here to access the policy and the form.
- August 4, 2010: The Early Learning Coalition of Miami-Dade/Monroe is seeking a candidate to fill a position on its Board of Directors for a private, for-profit child care provider. The candidate must reside in Florida and be associated with a private-sector child care center
or family child care home business entity conducting business in Miami-Dade or Monroe
County. Preference will be given to one whose center or family child care home is accredited by a recognized agency.
Please contact Leeana Pena at 305-646-7220, ext. 246 for an application or download the Board of Directors Membership Application. Applications must be submitted no later than Friday, August 20th.
Please note that candidates will be selected on Friday, August 27th and must be available for interviews on Wednesday, September 1st.
- August 4, 2010: All those interested in being a part of the ELC Board of Directors must fill out the Board of Directors Membership Application.
- August 3, 2010: Take Action Now! Read the summary of federal legislation affecting children. Then contact your legislators to remind them how important our children are.
- July 29, 2010: Miami Dade County District 3 will host a back to school fair this weekend, read more.
- July 29, 2010: Miami-Dade Economic Advocacy Trust Housing Advocacy Committee is hosting the South Dade Housing Empowerment Symposium, read more.
- July 29, 2010: Community Health of South Florida, Inc. is offering low cost school physicals, read more.
- July 28, 2010: Issue #7 of the ELC News Alert has been released, read more.
- July 27, 2010: DCF is launching a new website to help providers with the new background screening requirements, read more.
- July 27, 2010: Funding child care helps all of us, read more from the Miami Herald.
- July 20, 2010: DCF is offering a new 4-hour course, Quality Self-Assessment and Improvement for Afterschool Programs read more.
- July 14, 2010: AWI and the ELC will host Regional School-Age Care Quality Meetings for Afterschool Site Directors & Administrators, Afterschool Providers, and Early Learning Coalition Staff/Trainers, read more.
- July 14, 2010: Emergency Financial Assistance for Housing Program (EFAHP)
is Now Accepting Applications, read more.
- July 14, 2010: Are you between 5 and 12 years old? If so, USCIS is hosting an art project to ask you to put your ideas on paper, read more.
- July 12, 2010: Florida is about to implement important changes to ensure the safety of Floridians who are so dependent on the quality of the people caring for them, read more about these changes.
- July 7, 2010: Non Profit leaders Face new Realities, read the Status Report on non profit care.
- July 6, 2010: Florida's children deserve to be our first priority when deciding how the state's resources are spent, visit the Children's Movement of Florida to find out more about this important initiative.
- June 30, 2010: The Child Care Executive Partnership (CCEP) helps
working-families afford quality child care. Find out how you can be part of the program, read more.
- June 29, 2010: The Early Care and Educational Providers’ Business Meeting scheduled for June 30, 2010 has been cancelled.
- June 23, 2010: Issue #6 of the ELC News Alert has been released, read more.
- June 18, 2010: In our effort to Go Green, public packets will no longer be available for meetings. Click here to download the June 21, 2010 Executive Committee Meeting packet.
- June 17, 2010: Do you know your responsibilities as a mandated reporter? Be informed of the Florida Laws for caretakers of young children. Sign up for the Quality Counts Director's Series, read more.
- June 16, 2010: The Quality Counts Career Center will be accepting scholarship applications for the Fall 2010 semester from June 16 thru August 6, 2010, read more.
- June 4, 2010: In our effort to Go Green, public packets will no longer be available for meetings. Click here to download the June Board Meeting packet.
- June 4, 2010: VPK Providers who took an instructor led course can now update their transcript by faxing, scanning and/or mailing certificates to the ELC, read more.
- June 2, 2010: Florida Department of Education has scheduled several Rule Development Workshops to gather public input on the methodology for calculating the 2009-10 VPK Provider Kindergarten Readiness Rate, read more.
- June 2, 2010: VPK Payment Rate Schedule for FY 2010-2011 has been published, read more.
- May 26, 2010: Success South Florida Magazine Honors 40 Under 40 Leaders of Today and Tomorrow, among them ELC's Blythe Keeler Robinson, read more.
- May 25, 2010: We are currently recruiting for the 2010-2011 Curriculum Learning Communities, click here for more information on the program and the pre-application form.
- May 25, 2010: The cuts to subsidized child care challenge the central tenet of the welfare overhaul adopted in 1996, which imposed a five-year lifetime limit on cash assistance, read more.
- May 20, 2010: Give Your Kids A Head Start With State's Free VPK, read more.
- May 19, 2010: South Florida Workforce is Recruiting to Fill Jobs through the Florida Back to Work Program, read more.
- May 18, 2010: Read the latest Deepwater Horizon Response situation report.
- May 18, 2010: For information on the ongoing efforts to clean up the Gulf Oil Spill please click here.
- May 17, 2010: Issue #5 of the ELC News Alert has been released, read more.
- May 14, 2010: Low-quality child care can have lasting impact, watch the video and read more!
- May 12, 2010: Our Quality Counts is included in this new and extensive study of QRS initiatives around the nation, read more.
- May 7, 2010: Proposed VPK Provider Payment Rates by county for VPK for fiscal year 2010-11, read more.
- April 30, 2010: Senate Bill 2014 by Senator Wise has passed and is on the Governor's desk, read the bill.
- April 21, 2010: VPK Funding preserved! Your phone calls, emails, and trips to Tallahassee have paid off. The House and the Senate agreed on a $404.8M appropriation for VPK, read more.
- April 21, 2010: Want to be a part of Child Care Executive Partnership? To participate for the 2010-2011 school year, please visit our CCEP webpage to download the necessary forms and fax them back no later than Monday, May 10, 2010.
- April 16, 2010: Issue #4 of the ELC News Alert has been Released, read more.
- April 14, 2010: VPK funding is still in jeopardy! See how YOU can help, read more.
- April 14, 2010: Florida Family Child Care Home Association will have their 18th Annual Conference June 22-27, 2010, read more.
- April 14, 2010: Florida Family Child Care Home Association is looking for presenters for their upcoming conference, read more.
- April 6, 2010: Florida Cabinet for Children and Youth Report releases their report on kindergarten readiness, Kindergarten Readiness Turn the Curve Exercise Summary
FLKRS Results for Florida
- March 26, 2010: AWI releases Employment figures for February 2010, read more.
- March 25, 2010: FLORIDA’S VPK STUDENTS ARE BETTER PREPARED FOR SUCCESS IN KINDERGARTEN~ Latest results indicate VPK students score higher than their non-VPK peers in key learning areas, read more.
- March 22, 2010: New dates added tot he VPK Standards Trainings, read more.
- March 22, 2010: 4th Annual: All Kids Included Family Arts Festival “A Quilting Safari” April 17th At Miami Children’s Museum, read more. For more information read the press release from Miami-Dade County, in English or en español
- March 18, 2010: VPK funding is in jeopardy! We need to engage all early learning partners and stakeholders to educate legislative members on the implications of reductions. Click here to see how you can help!
- March 17, 2010: Reading is essential to a child's learning process. That's why Target awards grants to schools, libraries and nonprofit organizations to support programs such as after-school reading events and weekend book clubs, read more.
- March 17, 2010: Is Your Pre-K Teacher Giving What They Get? Read the article from education.com
- March 17, 2010: There will be legislative training session on March 26 in English and Spanish, read more.
- March 15, 2010: Another Tight Budget Year, More Tough Cuts, read more from the Capital Connection Newsletter.
- March 15, 2010: Read the latest issue of the VPK News Flash.
- March 12, 2010: Issue #3 of the ELC News Alert has been Released, read more.
- March 12, 2010: Legislative Update! Over the last week, the House and Senate have released their proposed budgets for both the School Readiness and VPK programs, read more.
- March 11, 2010: Florida Department of Education has released the VPK Readiness Rates for 08-09. Click here to search the Readiness Rates.
- March 10, 2010: BLOCK Fest - Coming to the United Way Center for Excellence - March 18th - Don't miss the fun, read more.
- March 10, 2010: Miami-Dade County Community Action Agency presents the 8th Annual Pregnant Women, Infant and Toddlers Conference: Cherish the Moments, Treasure the Gems, read more.
- March 10, 2010: AWI releases the unemployment figures for January 2010, read more.
- March 9, 2010: Become a certified Parent Peer Group™ (PPG) MASTER Trainer for Informed Families - spaces still available for the training on March 26, 2010, read more.
- March 8, 2010: Now is the perfect time to become more informed and actively involved on behalf of children and early care and education! read more
- March 4, 2010: Governor Crist Promotes Florida’s Talent Supply Chain, From Pre-Kindergarten Through Higher Education, read more.
- March 4, 2010: ELC celebrates Read Across America by reading Dr. Suess books to young children, read more.
- February 25, 2010: In the Wake of Recent State Budget Cuts, Coalition Reports Unprecedented Numbers of Children Benefiting from School Readiness Programs, Yet Thousands More Still In Need, read more.
- February 24, 2010: Administration Increases Funds for Child Care in Federal Budget Proposal read more from the Early Care and Education Consortium.
- February 24, 2010: Final 08-09 VPK Readiness Rates will be published and available for the general public on Friday, February 26, 2010, read more.
- February 24, 2010: In a Salute to Dr. Seuss, Students at Shores School Center in Miami, Which Serves an 85% Haitian Population and Whose Families Have Been Impacted by Haiti’s Earthquake, to Participate in a Special Breakfast of “Green Eggs & Ham”, read more.
- February 23, 2010: Help us celebrate Children's Week by creating hand artwork with your children! read more.
- February 22, 2010: Technology companies, health professionals, and federal, state, and local agencies combine forces to provide free health information via text messages, read more.
- February 22, 2010: US Census 2010 – Why every person counts!
Participating is easy, important and safe! Ten minutes to answer 10 questions can directly impact your quality of life, read more.
- February 18, 2010:
Do you want a bigger voice in Congress?
Do you want more money for schools & hospitals?
-Participate in the 2010 Census
-Sea parte del Censo 2010
-Patisipe nan Census 2010
- February 11, 2010: ELC News Alert Issue 2 has been released, read more.
- February 10, 2010: In the Wake of Recent State Budget Cuts, Coalition Reports Unprecedented Numbers of Children Benefiting from School Readiness Programs, Yet Thousands More Still In Need, read more.
- February 8, 2010:Help for Haiti: Volunteer with the Red Cross! The Red Cross needs child care providers to assist with Haitian children as they arrive to the United States., read more.
- February 8, 2010: Detroit Free Press reports state preschool programs over the past 25 years are saving the state $1 billion this year in crime and education costs, read more.
- February 4, 2010: Read the latest H1N1 update for the Florida Department of Health.
- February 2, 2010: Governor Crist announces 2010-2011 budget recommendations, read more.
- February 1, 2010: VPK News Flash for February has ben released, read more.
- February 1, 2010: There will be a Parent Peer Group Training on February 5, 2010, read more.
- January 29, 2010: On February 5, 2010, preliminary 2008-09 VPK Provider Kindergarten Readiness Rate are scheduled to be posted on the readiness rate Web site, read more.
- January 25, 2010: Governor Crist Unveils Record $22.7-Billion Proposed Budget
for Pre-K-12 Education, read more.
- January 25, 2010: The City of Miami will be hosting a career fair, read more.
- January 20, 2010: AWI Releases December Unemployment Figures, read more.
- January 20, 2010: The Florida Council of 100 and the Florida Chamber of Commerce are championing a new approach for energizing what Workforce Florida aptly coined Florida’s “Talent Supply Chain read more.
- January 15, 2010: AWI releases the Rules Timeline, read more.
- January 13, 2010: Do you need to hire extra staff but are struggling to find the funds to do so? Your South Florida Workforce is offering a solution of government-funded assistance! Visit South Florida Workforce for more info.
- January 13, 2010: If you know of any local businesses that would like to participate in reducing child care costs, addressing the needs of early care and education, and supporting a strong workforce in our community, we encourage you to refer them to the Child Care Executive Partnership (CCEP). This program is designed to ensure that children of employees through age 12 are provided affordable, high-quality, and developmentally appropriate child care. It's not too late! read more
- January 07, 2010: Worried about H1N1? Join Child Care Aware Parent Network's webinar Keeping Your Child Healthy at Home and in Child Care, read more.
- January 05, 2010: Join AWI Rule Workshop scheduled for this Friday, January 8th from 1-5 pm related to the VPK forms 10,11 and 20, read more.
- January 04, 2010: Join Informed Families and Former FL Gov. Jeb Bush for a special Evening with Joseph A. Califano, Jr. on February 18, 2010, read more.
- December 24, 2009: Issue 15 of the News Alert has been released, read more.
- December 22, 2009: Day-care center to lose state pre-K program. Early Learning Coalition of Marion County cites possible fraudulent procedures at Ocala's Kids Zone USA, read more.
- December 22, 2009: FCSC releases their summary FY 2010-11 Budget Shortfall and its impact on Early Learning, read more.
- December 21, 2009: DCF has released a draft of the 2009 Rule Changes as well as an Enforcement Fact Sheet.
- December 15, 2009: The ECE has posted some of the 2010 conferences being organized by members of the World Forum Alliance and the Exchange Strategic Partners, read more.
- December 15, 2009: FACCM 2010 Annual Conference will be held in Orlando, FL January 15-16, 2010, read more.
- December 9, 2009: We are still collecting supplies to benefit a local children's home, read more.
- December 8, 2009: Healthcare reform fact sheet and its impact, read more.
- December 2, 2009: VPK providers can come to our office, 2555 Ponce de Leon Blvd. Coral Gables, to pick up VPK banners. Limit one banner per certified VPK Provider.
- December 1, 2009: DCF The Child Care Licensing Department have training on the new Child Care Licensing requirements as well as immunization for the H1N1 Flu Virus, read more.
- November 24, 2009: Elizabeth Bellon of the Early Learning Coalition of Miami-Dade/
Monroe reads in English and Spanish to children at The Learning Center as part of a Reading is Fundamental (RIF) book distribution event. The coalition received a $125,000 grant from RIF, the nation’s largest literacy organization, to give books to a total of 28,000 children in both counties, read more on page 3A
- November 24, 2009: City of Miami Fire Rescue will performing free car seat inspections at Station #10, 4101 NW 7th Street on Dec. 5, 2009
- November 23, 2009: Issue 14 of the ELC News Alert has been released, read more
- November 20, 2009: Tickets FORE Charity and the ELC have teamed up bring you a special $40 Any-Day ground pass to 2010 World Golf Championships-CA Championship to be held in the Doral Golf Resort & Spa and 75% of the net proceeds will directly benefit the Early Learning Coalition! read more
- November 19, 2009: Miami-Dade Early Learning Centers Receive Grants Totaling $174,000 from IBM, read more
- November 18, 2009: Miami-Dade County Health Department announces Special H1N1 Flu Vaccination Day, November 21, 2009 read more,
Día especial de vacunación contra la gripe H1N1 lea mas,
Jou Espesiyal ou Ka Pran Vaksen Kont Grip H1N1plis enfòrmasyon
- November 17, 2009: ELC will host a book distribution with guest reader "Story Lady" Danielle Bascomb read more.
- November 10, 2009: Download the activities flyer for the third RIF-ELC Book Distribution.
- November 10, 2009: Miami-Dade County Health Department announces Special H1N1 Flu Vaccination Day, November 11, 2009 read more,
Día especial de vacunación contra la gripe H1N1 lea mas,
Jou Espesiyal ou Ka Pran Vaksen Kont Grip H1N1plis enfòrmasyon
- November 5, 2009: Rep. Ari Porth Convenes State’s First-Ever Early Childhood Caucus ~ Bipartisan group to examine best practice ways to prepare Florida’s children for the future, read more
- November 5, 2009: Bipartisan group to focus on children's issues, including VPK Six Tampa Bay area lawmakers -- three Republicans and three Democrats -- are among 20 members of a new bipartisan group focusing on early childhood issues, including Florida's voluntary prekindergarten program, read more
- November 5, 2009: Terri Lynne Lokoff/Children’s TYLENOL® National Child Care Teacher Awards™ award acknowledges the critical role of child care teachers in providing quality early care and education. The ELC encourages Miami-Dade and Monroe county child care teachers to apply , read more.
- November 3, 2009: ELC releases three RFPs: Data Management, Child Assessment and Screenings, Inclusion Services.
- October 29, 2009: Issue 13 of the ELC News Alert is out, read more.
- October 29, 2009: Town Hall Meeting to discuss Degreed Teachers In Pre-K Classrooms will be held in N. Seminole on December 15, 2009, read more.
- October 27, 2009: Congratulations to the Early Learning Coalition of Miami-Dade/Monroe - winner of the 2009 GMSHRM Diversity & Inclusion Award, read more
- October 27, 2009: AWI has published VPK 80:20 attendance rule FAQs and examples, read more
- October 27, 2009: HB 201 was filed in the Florida House of Representatives and its companion SB 248 was filed in the senate both concern background screenings for early care and education employees, read more
- October 27, 2009: Congratulations to the Early Learning Coalition of Miami-Dade/Monroe - winner of the 2009 GMSHRM Diversity & Inclusion Award, read more
- October 27, 2009: AWI has published VPK 80:20 attendance rule FAQs and examples, read more
- October 27, 2009: HB 201 was filed in the Florida House of Representatives and its companion SB 248 was filed in the senate both concern background screenings for early care and education employees, read more
- October 26, 2009: America After 3pm publishes report Top 10 States for Afterschool in 2009, read more
- October 26, 2009: America After 3pm publishes report Florida After 3pm, read more
- October 26, 2009: Florida Named a Top 10 State for Afterschool Programs
But Expert Says State Has “Long Way to Go”, read more
- October 23, 2009: Chicago Tribune: Latino toddlers lag white peers, studies find, read more
- October 23, 2009: Hosted by the Florida Chamber of Commerce, One Voice is an online forum dedicated to addressing the state's economic issues with a "one voice" approach. To learn more and become actively engaged in the discussion to better the future for all Floridians, read more
- October 23, 2009: Give kids an early chance from the Orlando Sentinel
- October 22, 2009: Bremerton Patriot Educators from several state school districts got an education in early learning from some leaders in the field this week read more
- October 16, 2009: AWI releases Florida’s September Employment Figures
- October 16, 2009: Chamber Firms Up Political, Business Goals for Florida
- October 14, 2009: Providers if are interested in receiving a H1N1 vaccination, please download the appointment form and fax it back before Monday October 19, with the time of your appointment.
- October 12, 2009: Become a certified Parent Peer Group™ (PPG) MASTER Trainer for Informed Families - spaces still available for the training on 10/14/09 and 11/18/09, read more.
- October 9, 2009: Issue 12 of the ELC News Alert is out, read more.
- October 7, 2009: National Women’s Law Center releases a study of child care policies in the US. More states made cuts than made improvements, read more.
- October 6, 2009: The RAND Corporation releases policy brief Promoting Effective Preschool Programs.
- October 2, 2009: Download the activities flyer for the Second RIF-ELC Book Distribution.
- September 30, 2009: The Guardian ad Litem Program is looking for volunteers, read more.
- September 29, 2009: AWI Presentation on the Provider Market Rate Survey for the Program and Strategy Committee is available for download.
- September 23, 2009: VPK News Flash includes information on the attendance policy, read more.
- September 18, 2009: Draft Matrix of Services developed by the Inclusion Task Force for 18 -36 months and 3 to 5 years.
- September 15, 2009: VPK Providers who took an instructor led course can now update their transcript by faxing, scanning and/or mailing certificates to the ELC, read more.
- September 9, 2009: CDC releases guidance to help Child Care Programs respond to the 2009–2010 Influenza Season, read more.
- August 17, 2009: Download the RIF Book Distribution Activities Flyer.
- August 14, 2009: ELC releases 2006-2008 Report, read more.